The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 AM

afishyaknotto is on a distinguished road
Default Reel recommendation

I mentioned in my introduction post that I want to buy a new fly reel. Please forgive the repetition, but I'm wondering what other women use and like.

I have a 9 ft, 5 wt rod and a 7 ft 4 wt rod, and I'd like to be able to use the same reel for both [just change spools with the different line weights]. I like the look of the Ross Rhythm reels, but haven't had one in my hand.

Here are my preferences: light weight, dependable, fairly quiet [dislike the clicking noise], price in the $200 and less range.

I appreciate any advice.

Diane
Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel recommendation

Hi Diane.

I don't know that a woman would need any different reel than a man would.

I like the quality per dollar of the higher-end Okuma reels. Don't go below the SLV (roughly $50 on internet). Many other reels have good reviews on this website, but my personal experince is with the Okuma SLV and the Orvis Battenkill. I liked the SLV enough that I sold my Orvis and bought 3 SLVs with the proceeds. Never regretted it.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

for the money...it would be hard to beat the machined Battenkill from Orvis. For about $100 it is extremely light, very durable. and has a beautiful traditional look... I use it on my 5wt and 4wt. It balances extremely well with the lighter graphite rods... I don't use it with my bamboo rods as it is too light a reel to balance my boo's.

Good fishing
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I have been spending a great deal of time looking for the same thing - a 4/5 weight reel of excellent quality at a good price. Some of my personal favorites:

-Lamson Konic for about $118

-Cabelas LSR for around $100 typically, though I bought 3 on sale for around $50 a piece in 3 different sizes. I was skeptical, but they are excellent reels and the design looks similar to the Galvan open back.

-Orvis Battenkill BBS.

-Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, now on sale at orvis.com for $100. Many folks don't like this reel because of it's smaller amount of backing capacity. If you go with this one, consider gel-spun. The main reason I didn't go this way is because I like DT lines which take up more space on the reel and I would have had a very small amount of backing.

The Konic is fairly new so there isn't much of a record as to it's dependability, but to my knowledge Lamson makes very good reels. The others are all lightweight, dependable, and quiet. I would think the BBS would be the least quiet, if I remember correctly.

The "clickers" can be taken off of most reels - at least the incoming clickers. I removed the ones on my LSR's.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Oh, by the way...
In regard to the gender aspect, my wife wants a Konic. Her dream reel is the pink Ross "Casting for Recovery" reel.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Burns
For trout fishing or even bass how much backing do you need ??? I have never had a trout put me into the backing and I have caught my share of large trout...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM

True, I have never had a trout get into my backing either. All the experts say you need it for the occasional bigger than big fish in a big river or a lake.

But I too have never seen it happen.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to say for under $200. Tops is the Konic, what a cool reel, also the Battenkills are a strong safe choice. One more not mention is Vosseler.
Oh and I agree with the fact reels know no sex, so what guys use gals barrow and forget to return LOL
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
for the money...it would be hard to beat the machined Battenkill from Orvis. For about $100 it is extremely light, very durable. and has a beautiful traditional look...
Good fishing
That is a cinch, for $89 you can get a machined AND Large Arbor 5 weight from *****creek. Orvis charges about 1.5 times the amount for a large arbor than they do for a medium arbor, and the battenkill is a medium arbor.

She might also want to check out elkhorn, they have preety girly colored reels designed by char bloom
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 AM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
True, I have never had a trout get into my backing either. All the experts say you need it for the occasional bigger than big fish in a big river or a lake.

But I too have never seen it happen.

I got way into my backing on a 10 pound rainbow on the uppersac. But one thing you have to remember about backing is, when asked how much backing you want, how far do you want to trudge over slippery rocks hunting down the fish? Put at least 100 yards backing on tho, do you really want to lose a 10 - 15 pound trout because you were a dumb #&#& idiot and didnt put backing on it?

The upper sac is a small river too, 30-40 feet across, resident trout. On steelhead rivers I have waded out 100 feet from the bank (and the other side of the river was another 100 feet away) and had steelies take me 500 feet.