The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kelkay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM

peggerk is on a distinguished road
Default three forks 4wt 8' line replacement

Hi
I'm wanting to replace the line on my reel. I have the three forks prestige plus 4wt 8' combo.
I trout fish in small streams and also fish small bass and big bluegills in ponds with poppers.
Anybody have any tips. I'm new to the forum and hope you will help me.
thanks,
peg
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: three forks 4wt 8' line replacement

Is the Scientific Angler mastery textured an option? Seems to work for me. I have two 4weights. I like it so far.
I know a few others have it too here on the board. The Rio's are popular too.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I like that Rio Trout LT a lot. I have the Gold line too. But I think I prefer the Trout LT. I am a big fan of Rio fly lines.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggerk View Post
Hi
I'm wanting to replace the line on my reel. I have the three forks prestige plus 4wt 8' combo.
I trout fish in small streams and also fish small bass and big bluegills in ponds with poppers.
Anybody have any tips. I'm new to the forum and hope you will help me.
thanks,
peg
Welcome Peg,
Combos are great deals for the most part, but in my opinion, the line next to the right fly is the most important part of fly fishing.
A fly line can make it effortless or a nightmare and I have used both.
I regretfully say, a really good line could cost close to the price of an entry level rod, but it is a good investment.
In a four weight, I recommend first the Sharkskin GPX. This line will amaze you at how easy it is to cast. Next there is the Orvis Superfine. A smaller diameter line, less wind resistance and super easy to mend. Rio Trout lines are a good choice as well.
Hope you enjoy the fly fishing as much as many here do. Nothing like it in the world to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Joni is right about the fly lines. I might add I NEVER buy them at full price. I always buy them on SALE. I never figured out how in the world fly line dealers sell lines for that much. I refuse to pay it. I have a few classic reels. So it isn't like I just buy one line, or two, and I'm done. I have a collection of reels. So I search, and hunt for clearance lines mostly.
Joni likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice. I will be looking for some sales on replacement line, now that I have a few brands to watch for.
It is amazing I can spend as much on a quality line as the price of the combo gear.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice

The Orvis Tent Sale frequently has some good lines on sale.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_s...&group_id=1157
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM

I was too late on the tent sale, 4wt was sold out. Thanks for the help.

Ok, I was doing some reading and I decided to see what my Three Forks 4wt 8' combo is. I used the Common Cents method.

The wt was 38 cents/ERN 4.60
The action angle was 66 degrees.
I guess this tells me it is close to a 4.5 wt rod with medium-fast action.

I weighed 30 ft of line in grams and its 9 grams or close to 150 grains. Thats a little heavy, guess its overlined now. 4wt rates are 120 grains.

I fish small ponds for blue gill. Small trout streams with low cover.
I use size 10 to 14 flies, nymphs and size 10 wooly buggers and small poppers.

I also fish in the winter.
I am not sure if I should use WF line but I think so.
I would say I am beginner/intermediate at casting.

Any more ideas on the line that would work the best in my situation while I wait for a sale price?

Thanks,
Peg
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I like this line too
http://www.basspro.com/Sage-Ultimate...1201091105252/