The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peggerk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 AM

peggerk is on a distinguished road
Default New Redington ct need line help

I picked up a 8'-6" 3wt at Cabelas on sale. I want to try Wulff TT on it I think. Should I choose three weight or four? I fish small nymphs, flies and some woolies. I roll cast a lot on small trout streams. thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: New Redington ct need line help

i'm not one for expensive lines or overlining rods.
I just bought a mill end 3 wt for my 7634 CT. Works fine.

Things in fishing, as in all aspects of life, can be way over analysed.

Keep it simple.

If you really are in doubt what to use. Bring the rod to a tackle store, get some sample lines and test cast them...then you'll know without being out of pocket

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I have some 3WT LL Bean Streamlight cheap stuff on my 3WT 7-6 CT. It casts pretty well IMO. I'm just a noob and the 3WT line loads the rod with ease.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I don't think most people feel the need to overline any of the CT's, although I have overlined mine a time or two and they fish fine either way. With a heavier line they seem less able to turn over nymph rigs, etc, but are still sweet close in with less payload to throw. Just depends on how and where you want to fish.

The bigger issue is the rod is definitely tip heavy, so if you put a light reel on it you'll feel it...

There are a gazillion threads about these rods, but it always comes down to what feels right to you.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I have the same rod. 8'6 3wt. I use a wf3f and it matches superbly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
The bigger issue is the rod is definitely tip heavy, so if you put a light reel on it you'll feel it...

There are a gazillion threads about these rods, but it always comes down to what feels right to you.
That must be related to length. I have a very light reel (Drift 2/3) on my 3WT 7-6 CT and the rig feels like a feather. Definitely no noticeable imbalance issue.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
That must be related to length. I have a very light reel (Drift 2/3) on my 3WT 7-6 CT and the rig feels like a feather. Definitely no noticeable imbalance issue.
could be...both my rods are 8'6"
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

Try RIO Trout LT WF line. I use it for most everything, as it seems to match about every rod I have.

I use a Drift reel as well. Both 2/3 & 3/4 sizes, and they balance real well. They don't feel like I have a counterweight behind my hand.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 AM

peggerk is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I will use the 3wt and not over line it.
kelkay likes this.