The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need the girl advise

Lessons is really good to hear. I frequent another forum as does Cpierce, where we get new comers asking questions only to be met with a few that claim it is the easiest form of fishing...easier than bait fishing. Really makes the new comers feel they are doing something very wrong.
Keep us updated and most welcome to this forum.
Oh, I also have a friend that received a Pink Sage from her hubby, but it was a custom made on a One taper. Beautiful rod.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Dan, I am just reading this. If you are just fishing for trout, a 4wt would be ideal. (in my opinion) If you are fishing for larger fish a 5-6 wt would be better, depending on the species. I started out with a 5wt, as it was a happy medium. I don't care if the rod is pink, or anything like that. Sounds like your lady will be happy with any of those rod makers to me. I commend you for wanting to get her new stuff, that is her own. That sounds delightful.
Joni likes this.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Joni.
You are Spot on Why give your Wife a Used Hand - Me - Down Rod as just before Xmas I was fishing with a Guy whose Girlfriend bought Sage Ones for both of them.
Brian.
Joni likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 AM

fishsalmo56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
That warms my heart. So many times I read where guys want their wife or girl friend to take up fly fishing, but they give them gear they don't use anymore...left overs. Claim it was fine for them but they have moved on.
I don't think most women care about the color, but rather gear that is THEIRS and bought for THEM, not left overs.
It does not take expensive gear to catch fish, but there is a difference. One that a newby can tell right out of the gate.
You want female company, make sure she gets equipment that will make it as easy as possible.
Joni and Dan - I am exactly in this same place with my wife. In fact we were having this conversation this morning. Joni, thanks for your thoughts because I totally agree. Being that we live aboit 45 minutes from the Orvis "mother ship" we were thinking of driving over there and having her try out some different rods. The goal is to find her a fly rod that works well for her. As she is getting into fly fishing, I want to make sure that she is getting equipment that she wants, fits her, and she will use!
Thanks for your advice!
Joni and kelkay like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is wonderful! I got to tell you I was at the Fly Tying Expo in Idaho Falls this weekend. I have been looking for the perfect rod for something I love to catch and do it daily. I wanted a 7' 9" Six or seven weight for Carp. I have talked to a few rod makers about a CARP edition rod. Strong back bone with a slight tip give. Fortunately, I do know what I want and what works for me.
My hubby was talking to Dave from Sweetgrass. I know, bamboo for Carp? But seriously, the 7'9" 6/7 weight Quad was exactly what I was looking for. And again, I fish for these daily!
We took the plunge and ordered, not JUST a bamboo, but more important, a LEGEND. Glen Brackett will "touch" this rod! I am so excited!
kelkay and cpiercem like this.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

trickpony is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity...
I really don't get all these posts about buying gear for your lady. Why not go to a few shops with her and let her pick something out? I know she doesn't really understand what she's looking at - but rod weight is half personal preference and half the kind of fishing she's doing. Have her cast a 4,5,6 weight rod (all of which would be available at even the most generic outfitter) and go from there. As a girl, I personally hate 4 weight rods unless I'm fishing really really tiny streams - I take my 9ft 5 weight for almost all but the creekiest. Just preference.

As far as pink goes... screw that. I mean it's cute and it would be awesome if it was more widely available, but in my experience 99.9% of the stuff that's labeled as women's-specific in industries with few women (be it snowboards... fly rods... whitewater gear)... just means a crappier model of the men's version - and that it's pink. This has been my experience over the last 10-15 years as a pretty avid snowboarder/flyfisher/whitewater guide/etc. They are definitely getting better, but I immediately question the quality of anything that is pink, just for the ladies, etc. (Even when the company calls it a "sibling" of the male version).

Just some thoughts... it's awesome your girl wants to fish with you though!
Joni, cab and siege like this.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Had to "like" the posts that basically said: screw color! My freind G.G. finds it patronizing, too. Keep in mind: they don't come any more girly than her! The one thing she has issue with: grip size. If you're buying a rod for her, beware large grips.

I'm convinced that if a rod designer would study women's natural strokes and designed a rod action(s) around that, they could make a killing.

CAB
siege likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM

Now I have no problem with the Pink for Casting For Recovery. I would support that in a rod reel and line to be honest.
As for grips, I prefer bigger. The JWF is an awesome example.
siege likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

FINALLY! I was browsing on facebook and saw that Allen has a limited edition Purple Trout 2 reel... I called Justin asap to hold one till I got home to order...

Now I just need a purple rod... Looks like Elkhorn is the only avenue.

At least if my wife hates it, I'll have a cool 5wt set up.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
FINALLY! I was browsing on facebook and saw that Allen has a limited edition Purple Trout 2 reel... I called Justin asap to hold one till I got home to order...

Now I just need a purple rod... Looks like Elkhorn is the only avenue.

At least if my wife hates it, I'll have a cool 5wt set up.
Yeah! I saw that as well and emailed Justin! It will go on my Xa2. I am a Lavender addict. My yard is 14 Lavender. I knew Purple was coming down the line but This shade is totally a surprise and welcomed big time. Nice job boys!