The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM

dan001 is on a distinguished road
Default I need the girl advise

I want to buy my wife a Pink rod. After a few search i found out that St Croix, Sage and Elkhorn are all making pink rod.

We usually fish small to medium size river where casting is rarely in excess of 30 feet.

Should i go with a 6 wt kind of rod or go lighter. Personally i like to fish on the light side more than the heavy side, but that is a personal choice. I guess it is probably easier to cast with a heavier line.

Any though would be greatly appreciated as my brain is a men's brain and i need a women brain here.

Tks in advance
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I need the girl advise

Hi Dan,

I'm confused by; do you want an answer from a woman or is this an open topic to the forum, if you would like general advise I can move the thread to 'Fly Rods'.

For small stream applications with fish in the 10" - 16" size range I would be thinking 5 weight unless the streams are really small at which point a 3 wt. would be sufficient. I have a 5 weight 7'9" rod that I use on small creeks until the length becomes a detriment. Then I drop to a 6'6" 3 weight and am happier with the shorter rod in tighter confines.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM

Yup exactly.. I am looking for an answer from a women. I have my own preference for all my rod, but i would love to have their input, this is why i did not post on the Rod Forum

Dan
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Stream or river, I would say a four weight. 8'6" is a good do all length. That I nice you are thinking all pink. I went through that phase too. Now it is "whatever" LOL
Smaller rod will be lighter, easier to cast and feel the fight better, not to mention feeling the rod load up when overhead casting is available.
I agree with Hardy if you are talking a chance at 18 to 20 inch fish, then I suggest an 8' to 8'6" 5 wt. Also a nice medium action. The old Sage Discovery was a wonderful taper.
fishsalmo56 likes this.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Got Ruth the Helios 8'6" 4 wt. She loves it for the reasons Joni stated. She has tried several of my rods and loves that 486.

I just finished wrapping a 590LL blank I had in some pretty girl colors for her to use on bigger fish.

She was never concerned about the rod color but says she really likes the pretty red and green wraps I did on the 590.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That warms my heart. So many times I read where guys want their wife or girl friend to take up fly fishing, but they give them gear they don't use anymore...left overs. Claim it was fine for them but they have moved on.
I don't think most women care about the color, but rather gear that is THEIRS and bought for THEM, not left overs.
It does not take expensive gear to catch fish, but there is a difference. One that a newby can tell right out of the gate.
You want female company, make sure she gets equipment that will make it as easy as possible.
kelkay, cpiercem, cochise and 1 others like this.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

you could get her a Shadow fly line in pink or ever two shades of pink.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 PM

tx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
That warms my heart. So many times I read where guys want their wife or girl friend to take up fly fishing, but they give them gear they don't use anymore...left overs. Claim it was fine for them but they have moved on.
I don't think most women care about the color, but rather gear that is THEIRS and bought for THEM, not left overs.
It does not take expensive gear to catch fish, but there is a difference. One that a newby can tell right out of the gate.
You want female company, make sure she gets equipment that will make it as easy as possible.
Funny story...I bought my fiancÚ her first fly fishing rod/reel for Christmas...we went out a couple weeks ago for her first "lesson". As we're unpacking the car I hear a crack/thud type noise and see her new unused reel laying on the pavement with a couple large "character marks". She felt really bad until I explained to her that the reel would actually not be able to function properly with an unblemished glossy finish entirely around it's circumference Now it's truly "hers".

To address the OP, I looked at doing the "pink setup" route when shopping for her, but from what I found it was either mid to high end or super cheap for that option. I opted for a decent cabelas combo in normal colors, and given the above story I'm glad I didn't opt for the high end
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 AM

Thank you all for your reply.

A 4wt sounds about just right.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

A little food for thought..... Unless your wife has expressed a real desire to have a pink rod, you might stop a minute and think about this. I know a lot women anglers and none of them have pink rods and none have ever expressed much interest in a pink rod.. Some have even said they find the idea of pink rods kind of patronizing: manufacturers don't consider them "real" anglers.

.. I read your original post to my wife (who is an avid fisher with a St. Croix, a Winston, and a TFO ..none pink). Her comment was only if she was a real "girly girl". So, if you choose to go the pink route, make sure its what she'll value.
cpiercem, mikel and cab like this.