The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Rip Tide
  • 3 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By cab
  • 1 Post By capnd
  • 2 Post By marky3130

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM

cramer is on a distinguished road
Default Wife's first rod

Ladies,
Are there any differences in recommendation for a beginning rod size for women vs men? Do any of you think a lighter (4 wt) or shorter rod (7'6"+) would be better to start with than a 9' 5wt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife's first rod

The diameter of the grip might make a difference. Small grips for small hands.
I doubt anything else matters all that much
Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are a beginner so you don't have many rods.

However, I would NOT buy your wife a rod that is shorter OR lighter in line weight IF it will compromise her fishing success. Unless you are going to fish the smaller waters in Montana, I would not go shorter than 9 feet and lighter than a 5 wt. Going shorter and lighter should be the last resort. I would try her with a 9 ft 5 wt and I think most ladies should be able to handle it.

Read this about an 11 yo child that just won a place on the USA female fly casting team and finished 4th at the Nationals. Certainly, your wife is stronger than her.

SF 11-year-old makes fly-casting history - Tom Stienstra's Outdoors

Maxine McCormick, 11, Places 4th in U.S. National Casting Championship

mcnerney, weiliwen and cramer like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-07-2016, 02:42 PM

mikechell is on a distinguished road

I just have to comment on that video.
Either Vern Glenn is an idiot ... or whoever tried to teach him how to cast was.
SOMEONE should have corrected that numb-skull casting method he was allowed to do ... flailing that rod like is was a fly swatter. Hell, I don't even cast a conventional rig like that.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:28 PM

cramer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I know you are a beginner so you don't have many rods.

However, I would NOT buy your wife a rod that is shorter OR lighter in line weight IF it will compromise her fishing success. Unless you are going to fish the smaller waters in Montana, I would not go shorter than 9 feet and lighter than a 5 wt. Going shorter and lighter should be the last resort. I would try her with a 9 ft 5 wt and I think most ladies should be able to handle it.

Read this about an 11 yo child that just won a place on the USA female fly casting team and finished 4th at the Nationals. Certainly, your wife is stronger than her.

SF 11-year-old makes fly-casting history - Tom Stienstra's Outdoors

Maxine McCormick, 11, Places 4th in U.S. National Casting Championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzY3pJt9Ss

That the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 PM

cab is a splendid one to beholdcab is a splendid one to beholdcab is a splendid one to beholdcab is a splendid one to beholdcab is a splendid one to beholdcab is a splendid one to behold

G.G finds most grips too big. From what we've seen, a "women's rod" is a regular rod painted pink, pi$$es her off. So just get one with an action she likes.

If the grip is too big, you can sand it down, or have a rod builder type do it for you.

CAB
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 PM

capnd is on a distinguished road

In my wife's experience, she preferred a lighter weight, well balanced* rod, versus one with just a smaller diameter grip. She's not particularly strong, so
is using some tiny hand/wrist/forearm muscles she's never used before.
Having a light, well-balanced* rod is making it a less fatiguing, painful
introduction to the sport and therefore more enjoyable. For the rod size, she
got a 8'6" 5wt. Went 8'6" vs 9' mostly for the weight reduction.

* Balance, for her, with rod in hand, able to balance where her forefinger rested.
Not fighting a tip heavy rod means less fatigue/strain, which means more fun.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 PM

marky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the rough

Having gotten my wife into this about 5 years ago (and she's still doing it!) my suggestion is to get a decent rod for her. I had some good rods and a couple cheapo rods (like Redington crosswater) and I had her start on that. She was struggling and then tried some of our other rods and she picked it up pretty quick from there. We eventually found that a 4 wt 8.5' st Croix imperial (the newer $200 version) suits her perfectly. She has since fallen in love with a Scott G2, but she would have been fine with that imperial forever.

You don't have to spend $800, but try a few and get one that is smooth and easy casting.

On another note, I love to watch my wife cast. Something about the girl I love throwing a really good loop.

You only have one chance to get her really interested in the sport. Do it right and hopefully she sticks with it. I was uneasy about having her get into this with me as I thought it would take away from my enjoyment, but going together has augmented my enjoyment of fishing and has been great for our relationship.

Good Luck!

mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of

Scott Fly Rods has a ladies version of the A4, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a ladies version also in the Radian.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 PM

huntschool is a name known to allhuntschool is a name known to allhuntschool is a name known to allhuntschool is a name known to allhuntschool is a name known to allhuntschool is a name known to all

My wife started years ago with a pretty good rod.... 9' 5 wt. Now, really, she is a farm girl and could shoot a 45 lb bow no sweat so weight was not a problem. I got her started and she did the rest.

She now fishes Winston GVX and B II x rods and does quite well with everything from a 9' 4 wt up through and 8 wt.

I think the important thing is not to push the learning curve. Give her a chance to play with some rods and then make decisions on first rod purchase via her input. She likely will have a feel for it even if she does not know exactly what she is feeling.

If you are in Cut Bank I assume you will be fishing some pretty fair water. I would suggest you look at a 5 wt in 8'6" or 9" to start with and as others have said if the grip is too big, sand it down.

Good luck. I love it that my wife fishes and hunts with me....
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor