The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2016, 12:17 AM

amandab1990 is on a distinguished road
Default Can anyone help me???

Hello everyone... my name is Amanda, I'm new to,the site and fly fishing altogether. Is there anyone in the c.n.y area that could give me lessons on the basics? I'd love to learn and I am willing to pay if needed.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help me???

Welcome Amanda !
You should check to see if there's a fly fishing club in your area.
Our club has beginner lessons annually which run from late winter to early spring and is also developing a long term mentor program.
Clubs actively recruit and welcome new members and fly fishers in general are always willing to lend a hand.

Also, if there's an Orvis retailer close by, they have free beginner introductions as well

Fly-Fishing 101: Free fly fishing lessons at Orvis retail fly fishing schools.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:24 AM

james w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud ofjames w 3 3 has much to be proud of

First, WELCOME!

Second, the Orvis program is excellent. Most fly shops also have something just like that, that's how many of us began. Mine had an all day program free when you bought your first rod reel and line.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:30 AM

flytie09 is a splendid one to beholdflytie09 is a splendid one to beholdflytie09 is a splendid one to beholdflytie09 is a splendid one to beholdflytie09 is a splendid one to beholdflytie09 is a splendid one to behold

There's no Orvis shop up there. Whitaker's up in Pulaski is an Orvis endorsed shop. The Trout fitter fly shop in Syracuse may steer you right. Try those 2x. It's slim pickin's for guides but there's more trout water than anywhere.

Good luck

ft09
Old 05-28-2016, 09:07 AM

spm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum, Amanda.
As previously stated, a fly fishing club or a fly shop near you would be your best bet. I saw someone already said there is not an Orvis store near you. It's not ideal, but Orvis has an entire library of fly fishing videos on their website. But, again, nothing beats personal instruction, which is what you're asking for.

There is a sub-forum on this site entitled "Find a fishing partner". Find a Fishing Partner - The North American Fly Fishing Forum Although, I'm sure members from your area will see your post here, you might try posting there, noting your general area, to find on-stream help.

And don't be shy about asking questions, here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
steve
Old 05-28-2016, 09:12 AM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

Amanda, can you tell us what equipment you have, if you've purchased it yet? I have no idea where CNY is, but is a guess of central New York correct? The fish you can target in your locale will determine your first setup, so that will make a difference.

I heartily add my recommendation to others about finding a fly fishing club. I got a huge benefit from joining one, even when I was a competent fly fisher - there are so many that are light years better than me. I learned a lot from them; they all will likely be happy to have you come along on one of their trips.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us updated about your progress.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum Amanda,you'll find tons of infos and lots of members willing to help here.as you have already seen...
I advise you to post a new thread with this title

Is there anyone in the c.n.y area that could give me lessons on the basics?
Editor, hairwing530 and spm like this.

Last edited by jpbfly; 05-28-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:33 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of

Welcome Amanda! It's always nice to see more ladies getting into this sport.

Find a local fly shop that will teach you how. Some will, and some won't. If you do find a shop that will, tell them exactly where you are with the sport so they know where to begin with you. If you want to fish with dries, let them know. Nymphs, let them know and so on. I have heard from some people that some shops will just throw on a few nymphs and show you how to do just that. Yes, it's a good way to start, but there's so much more to it than that. So if a local shop is where you go, I hope you find a good one that braches out with the knowledge of different technique.

You can get on the Orvis site and watch some great videos, but....videos are not like doing it for real, but they are helpful, and Orvis is top notch.

Good luck Amanda, and stick with it.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The free Orvis lesson is worth the cost of a motel room or a long drive. Just because there is no local Orvis shop doesn't mean you can't take advantage of the free introduction course.
hairwing530 and spm like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-28-2016, 07:39 PM

moucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to behold

Ask at the fly fishing department at Bass Pro in Auburn. They guy who set up and ran the department for them (he may still be there, I'm not sure) used to run his own fly shop in Skaneateles and knows every inch of CNY. If he's not there any more they should still at least be able to refer you to some local guides or angler's groups who can teach you.
hairwing530 and scotty macfly like this.