The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about
Default Ladies, How do you cart your flyboxes?

I started with a vest and after the first year quickly found out that I wanted or would load it up WAY too much.

Then I considered a chest pack....They don't work if you already have an existing chest pack.....

I've settled on using a waist pack which to me is a fanny pack but for some strange reason it's not popular to call it that today. Although the today waist pack is large enough to hold three spar spools, five fly boxes and all the do-dads I want...

I also inadvertently found out that a waist pack does not pull you down or impede swimming if you have to clench the cork and swim for it when two miles upstream they have just let out the dam

How do you cart your flyboxes?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ladies, How do you cart your flyboxes?

I have a waist pack as you would call it too. It only holds 2 boxes. I don't think it was made to fly fish with anyway. I was thinking about getting a vest soon though. Is it a waist of money to get a vest? I haven't seen a waist pack that holds 4 or 5 boxes in the shops around here. I only have cabela's and bass pro here.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

FlyGal, existing chest pack, lmao!! you kill me....
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Check out the orvis sling pack Joni recommend this to me a while back and i love it.
jim
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 AM

onemorecast is on a distinguished road

I got the Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack last year. It does hold a lot, but I am a minimalist and I prefer something smaller to wear on stream. The fly boxes I own (5 or 6) remain in the Sling Pack in the vehicle, while I load up my Fishpond San Juan chest pack (which fits nicely under the built-in one) with the flies I plan to use for the day.

I took off the thin, bottom strap and run the wading belt through the belt loop in the pack. I don't wear the neck strap around my neck (hurts after a while), I lengthen it and wear it around my body, so I can move the pack around to the side if it gets in my way. This suits most locations I fish.

Vests are out of the question, I found myself putting everything I owned in them.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

I got mine from LL Bean, it's a hiker/xc-skier/what ever, hip/waist or fanny pack with two bottle holders.

My pack is 12"w x 8" deep x 10" tall....It's the largest I've seen available locally.

Here's a pic of a smaller pack, but the same general idea.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sling packs don't work for me, I've got too much in the way to slide the pack around my body comfortably to access it when wading.

I'll stick to the fanny pack for now, I like the fact that my upper torso is free to cast and no straps are pulling down on my neck or back. The other HUGE plus is when the weather gets hot, I stay nice and cool with the fanny pack.

The only drawback I've had is if you frequently wade deep, it's going to get wet. I adjust the pack up higher when this is the case.

Nothing wrong with Vest TGW, just that you eventually want to pack every dam fishing thing you own into it....It's like owning a very large purse
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 PM

onemorecast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
Nothing wrong with Vest TGW, just that you eventually want to pack every dam fishing thing you own into it....It's like owning a very large purse
That's exactly what I was thinking! The bigger the purse the more I want to haul around.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My experience has been the same with the vest, I loaded every pocket there was and it weighed a ton!
On the rivers I am very familiar with I have what looks like a big wallet with the foam insert. It hangs around my neck and is small enough that the twins don't get in the way.
I bought the Safe Passage, chest/fanny combo and it worked great. Started using the chest part less and less. I wore the fanny pack one season guiding, loaded with maybe 3 system X boxes cause I knew what flies worked and a few to try out, plus plenty of each for the clients. I also would pack water bottles in each side (I generally had two clients at once). My HIPS were killing me. I tried raising it, even the neck strap but still killed my hips.
I would end up taking it off and clipping it together and throwing it over my shoulder.
Then I saw the Sling. PERFECT for me. The little front pouch for leaders, camera and the mesh on the front, Frog's Fanny. Second pouch, "6" small compartment fly boxes all with designated flies in them, BIG pouch, I can put two water bottles, plus a spare reel and strike indicators. I have a leader landyard attached to the front zipper, a Tape Measure Zinger with clippers attached to the big bag and
on another zinger and in a little holster provided on the sling.

Now the best part. NET! the "D" ring for the net is right in the middle of a nice padded shoulder strap so that if you slide the sling to the front to get something out...it stays behind you. Slide it back out of the way.....Net is still behind you. Can't do that with a fanny pack.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Ladies, How do you cart your flyboxes?

I use a regular fly fishing vest. It has three boxes in it at the moment...but I have shoved more into the back of it at times. It holds all my gear well. I would never be able to use a fanny pack or just a small bag...because I like to have a lot of stuff in my arsenal...hehehe.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 AM

dicosmoecus is on a distinguished road

CHECK OUT APRIL VOKEY
her site is ...Welcome to Flygal.ca
rifle thru her pics ,she has a sweet pack on her waist ,
looks large enough for a lot of gear.
moe