The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Ladies Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/ladies-fly-fishing-forum/)
-   -   double haul (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/ladies-fly-fishing-forum/4422-double-haul.html)

kelkay 05-27-2008 03:58 PM

double haul

I need to learn a double haul cast. I cannot afford videos right now. Does anyone know of a good video I can watch for free on the internet? I have looked at You Tube, and have seen all they had. But need more videos to watch. If you have one tucked away in your bookmarks, please post the url.

ribar 05-27-2008 04:06 PM

Re: double haul

Don't limit yourself to youtube, google it, there are some good textual and video instructions out there.

devon flyfisher 05-27-2008 05:52 PM

Try this Double Haul Basics
The key is getting your hands back together!
Try a single haul (with the rod horizontal) to the rear ground and let it fall,then a single haul to the front and let it fall, trying to get your hands backtogether after each haul.
Repeat several times then put it alltogether and don't let the line fall to the ground,gradually raise the rod to the vertical and hey presto you will be double hauling,just needs practice.
Cheers
Richard

tbrillinger223 05-27-2008 09:16 PM

Kellkay,

here is a start, this is a very good site for what you are looking for.

Sexyloops - the best fly fishing and fly casting on-line magazine, seven days a week

randyflycaster 05-27-2008 09:38 PM

Of course I still stand by this:

Fight Wind: Learn The Double Haul

Randy

kelkay 05-27-2008 11:21 PM

Thank you all for the awesome videos and links. These will really help me, and they are much better than the other ones I've found on my own. I knew someone had some goodies tucked away in their bookmarks. THANK YOU ALL.

tlcrep 05-29-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelkay (Post 29473)
Thank you all for the awesome videos and links. These will really help me, and they are much better than the other ones I've found on my own. I knew someone had some goodies tucked away in their bookmarks. THANK YOU ALL.

Where in Texas are you? By a fly shop? They will usually help you out for free with something like this. Maybe drive to Temple Fork FLy rods if they are close to you and I bet someone would spend 15 minutes showing you the basics. None of these options are going to spend a hour with you, for that you have to pay for a lesson, but they will spend some time getting you on the path.

I know as a sales rep I would help people out. It is part of being in the fly fishing business!

Nooksack Mac 05-29-2008 07:49 PM

In my early rookyhood, I read about the double haul, then spent about twenty years (really!) trying it from time to time with no success. Then finally something clicked. Now I instinctively double-haul on almost every cast. It has the great advantage of adding accelleration to every back- and forward-cast stroke. It's like a turbo-charger for your car engine.

Nobody should have to waste twenty years before acquiring this useful skill. Get instruction that works.

kelkay 05-29-2008 11:33 PM

I am in the Tyler-Longview area. There is a shop that has flies, but not a full fledged fly fishing shop.

kelkay 05-29-2008 11:35 PM

Good point. I have had a couple of lessons, but not for the double haul.