The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Question double haul

I need to learn a double haul cast. I cannot afford videos right now. Does anyone know of a good video I can watch for free on the internet? I have looked at You Tube, and have seen all they had. But need more videos to watch. If you have one tucked away in your bookmarks, please post the url.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM

ribar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: double haul

Don't limit yourself to youtube, google it, there are some good textual and video instructions out there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Try this Double Haul Basics
The key is getting your hands back together!
Try a single haul (with the rod horizontal) to the rear ground and let it fall,then a single haul to the front and let it fall, trying to get your hands backtogether after each haul.
Repeat several times then put it alltogether and don't let the line fall to the ground,gradually raise the rod to the vertical and hey presto you will be double hauling,just needs practice.
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Kellkay,

here is a start, this is a very good site for what you are looking for.

Sexyloops - the best fly fishing and fly casting on-line magazine, seven days a week
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Of course I still stand by this:

Fight Wind: Learn The Double Haul

Randy
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: double haul

Thank you all for the awesome videos and links. These will really help me, and they are much better than the other ones I've found on my own. I knew someone had some goodies tucked away in their bookmarks. THANK YOU ALL.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Thank you all for the awesome videos and links. These will really help me, and they are much better than the other ones I've found on my own. I knew someone had some goodies tucked away in their bookmarks. THANK YOU ALL.
Where in Texas are you? By a fly shop? They will usually help you out for free with something like this. Maybe drive to Temple Fork FLy rods if they are close to you and I bet someone would spend 15 minutes showing you the basics. None of these options are going to spend a hour with you, for that you have to pay for a lesson, but they will spend some time getting you on the path.

I know as a sales rep I would help people out. It is part of being in the fly fishing business!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

In my early rookyhood, I read about the double haul, then spent about twenty years (really!) trying it from time to time with no success. Then finally something clicked. Now I instinctively double-haul on almost every cast. It has the great advantage of adding accelleration to every back- and forward-cast stroke. It's like a turbo-charger for your car engine.

Nobody should have to waste twenty years before acquiring this useful skill. Get instruction that works.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM

I am in the Tyler-Longview area. There is a shop that has flies, but not a full fledged fly fishing shop.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM

Good point. I have had a couple of lessons, but not for the double haul.