The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Boots with "sticky" rubber soles

I am looking for a new pair of wading boots to replace my felt soled boots. I would like to go with the newer "sticky" rubber boots. I have both men's and women's sized wading boots, but as expected, the women's boots fit my feet better than men's boots.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of women's wading boots with the sticky rubber soles? If there aren't any, I'll take recommendations for men's boots, too.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Boots with "sticky" rubber soles

Have you considered the Korkers Konvertibles, which allow you to change soles, even without taking the boots off (to do so requires a lot more flexibility than my poor old body has, however ). That way, if you decide you don't like the AquaStealth sole, you can swap it out for felt (or either with carbide studs as well, or rubber lug with or without studs, etc.).
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

With all the diseases & parasites that are present in our waters ,I'm considering turning in my felt soled boots & replacing them with a pair with Aquastealth soles. I have Chota STL's now & I love them but I'm Thinking about what I'm carrying around from watershed to watershed . The Aquastealth sole has to be easier to disinfect than the felt..,,,
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
. . . The Aquastealth sole has to be easier to disinfect than the felt . . .l
FISHN50, you're right about that, but check some other threads on this Forum. There are disinfectants that will work with felt soles, one of which is a certain formulation of Formula 409.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I stay out of the water in late spring-summer. Snakes scare me. I fly fish from the bank, or pier. I wear flip flops when I fish from spring till fall. Sometimes I stand on the water's edge if it doesn't look snaky. I have gotten a few leeches at a particular lake near me. Small ones on my feet. That was no fun.......LOL. I thought maybe it was just that area, but they are on the whole lake I guess. I tried another area, and same thing. I am not familiar with disinfectant for shoes. Why would you want to do that? Are there pcb's or something in the water, mercury or what?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
. . . I am not familiar with disinfectant for shoes. Why would you want to do that? Are there pcb's or something in the water, mercury or what?
No, the issue is not something harmful to humans, it's diseases that are greatly harming trout in (at least) the Rocky Mountain area. There are several of these - Whirling Disease, New Zealand Snails, etc. The issue is how to keep from transmitting these trout diseases from one infected watershed to another uninfected watershed - thus the discussion on what disinfectants work best to kill these disease organisms. Apparently just common things like felt wading boot soles, boats, etc. are enough to transmit these devastating trout diseases from watershed to watershed.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

disease may be somewhat inaccurate for many issues. harmful organisms may be better. if this is the first time you've heard of such a thing, you owe it to everyone including yourself (and wildlife) to do some research. here in california, the main issue had been new zealand mudsnails hitching rides in felt, watercraft (including float tubes), waders, pets, etc. the problem has expanded to other forms (quagga/zebra mussels/didymo/etc) and it's occuring all across the united states (my apologies, i'll keep this relatively US-centric for now).

here's an interesting read of didymo (rock snot):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17523153

aquastealth makes it easier to clean boots but note, the danger goes BEYOND boots.

one of the highly recommended ways to clean waders/boots/small items is to immerse it in a SPECIAL version of formula 409 (i used a large plastic trash bag and buckets in the past). not any of the "kitchen" labeled cleaners, it specifically has the term degreaser/disinfectant on the product and can be bought at a home depot. i don't have a container on me right now so cannot tell you the actual name but studies have shown it is effective in killing NZMS.

these threats are relatively new and studies are being conducted on ways to combat the invasives and decomtaminate gear.

here are 2 links about NZMS from reputable sources. bleach can work too:

http://www.flyline.com/environmental/nzms/ and
http://www.esg.montana.edu/aim/mollusca/nzms/

a full report of decontamination methods and results:

http://www.flyline.com/_images/nzms_final_report.pdf

to not completely hijcak this thread (though, hijacked importantly), check out the new korker cross current, streamborn or guide wading boots with interchangeable soles. aquastealth is one of the choices. their company website offers them down to a size 6, i'm assuming a men's 6.

http://korkers.com/water.php

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: Boots with "sticky" rubber soles

Well said, Eric. Accurately summarizes what I've read on the topics also. Here's a link to some information (thanks to Webguy - West Denver Trout Unlimited) I found earlier about the Formula 409 formulations effective against at least New Zealand Mud Snails: Commercial Solutions Formula 409 Cleanser Degreaser Disinfectant .

BTW, as some rare good news, it appears that the Colorado Division of Wildlife, working with German hatcheries and the University of California/Davis have bred a Whirling Disease-resistant Rainbow hybrid trout which are currently being stocked in Colorado, emulating the resistance that Brown Trout inherently have: News - Department of Natural Resources .

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but the info is important and does relate, at least tangentially, to wading boot soles.

Neil
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies. Transmission of diseases and various other organisms between sites is exactly the reason I am looking for new boots. This problem has probably been an issue with various organisms for eons, but humans are just now catching on to the importance of limiting transmission as much as possible to protect wildlife. Despite attempts at containing VHS, it is gradually spreading across the midwest.

Anyway, I'll check the Korkers.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I had no idea this stuff was going on. I mainly do warm water fishing. The only trout fishing I have done so far was stocked trout in a small lake. I have been to upstate NY many many years ago trout fishing, but not fly fishing for them. I was not aware of all the stuff y'all have mentioned here. I knew that there were zebra mussels way up and away from me in the Great Lakes area I think I saw.... I had not heard of whirling disease, or New Zealand Mud Snails. Thanks for enlightening me.