The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default The New Bluebirds

It is my experience that most fisherman are also outdoorsman and that many actively watch birds while on the stream. So, I thought this series would interest some of you. A fractured ankle has kept me off the stream and more focused in my front yard for the past few weeks and I was able to watch these little guys grow up. Hope you find it interesting.

My apologies for the size of the pics, but I left them big so you can see the detail...

Day 1 - June 10th
Click the image to open in full size.

This little guy couldn't have been more than a couple hours old and was awaiting the arrival of his four siblings. Mom had already cleared out the broken egg shell pieces and the proud parents have been all over the bluebird box today.

Day 2 - June 11th

They're all here now. Nice little afros, don't you think?

Day 5 - June 14th

Growing fast, filling up the nest. And hungry...

Day 8 - June 17th

Starting to see feathers, particularly in the wings. I couldn't get them to raise their heads as they were seriously hunkered down. I expect that the Coopers hawk that I had just scared off their box might have had something to do with it.

Day 12 - June 21st

They are starting to look like birds. And the nest is getting smaller and smaller..

Day 16 - June 25th

Now we're starting to see blue in the bluebirds. These guys may just be fledging before too long.

Day 19 - June 28th

Well, the last statement was prophetic. The little blues have fledged. I went out for what I expected to be one last look but they had already flown the coop. I had hoped to watch then be coaxed from the box, but they got away unobserved. Despite the disappointment, it has been a pleasure watching them grow and I hope they return to one of our boxes, as parents, and repeat the process for years to come.

Sep
Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The New Bluebirds

nice pics, thanks for posting.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Sep,

Thanks for the great photos. I really enjoyed those.

Frank
Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Sep,
We have a Robin's nest in our Globe Willow. Mama hatched 4 babies in it this Spring. I was amazed at how fast them little buggers grow and leave the nest. Mama had an 'all you can eat buffet' with all the landscaping and digging going on in the yard.

Why are baby birds so ugly when their born? lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Outstanding! Brings back memories.

Thank you Sep

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Those were neat. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sep: Very nice work, that mut have been fun to watch! Thanks for posting, don't know how I missed it earlier.

Larry
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Next year I want to install a wireless video in my blue bird house and watch some goings on a little closer, and not have to disturb them for a look. Amazed at what great parents they are. My Blues, have returned for the last three years, and they make my spring. This year it was a battle with tree swallows, they were unrelenting in strafing the blue birds, but they were able to hang tough.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Next year I want to install a wireless video in my blue bird house and watch some goings on a little closer, and not have to disturb them for a look. Amazed at what great parents they are. My Blues, have returned for the last three years, and they make my spring. This year it was a battle with tree swallows, they were unrelenting in strafing the blue birds, but they were able to hang tough.
Yes, they are amazing parents. Non-stop for a month, nest building, egg sitting, box guarding, bug feeding, fledging... Amazing to watch.

Sep
Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

That was beautiful Sep. Thanks.