The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Explaining the New Fly Rod

Click the image to open in full size.

My wife just doesn't get it.

“Is that your new fishing pole?” she asked as I excitedly opened the Cabelas package that the UPS guy had just dropped on our doorstep.

“It’s not a fishing pole, it’s a fly rod”, I replied. “A Redington Predator”.

“And why do you need another fly rod?”, she politely asked.

Gulp. “Well”, I said, “catching big largemouths with my 6wt Winston, the fancy pole you call it, is a bit dodgy so I got this rod specifically for fishing bass down on the river”.

“So this is bigger than a 6wt? I thought that’s why you bought the blue one in February.”

“No, that’s an 8wt and I got it for bigger fish; stripers, reds, bonefish and the like. Maybe I’ll use it for the occasional bass, but only in certain conditions”.

“Oh, so how much does this new rod weigh?”

“It’s a 6wt. And wt is not how much it weighs, but a reference to the line that it uses”.

“Oh. Another 6wt? But I thought you just said your fancy 6wt wasn’t good enough.”

“Well, this 6wt is different. It’s much faster, I mean stiffer, more backbone for setting hooks and pulling bigger bass out of cover, like rocks and branches. It’s also a foot shorter, good for those tight places down on the river”.

“But it’s still a size 6?”

“6wt. Yes”

“So at least you can use the same line that you use on the fancy pole”.

“Well, I could, but it will be better if I put a 7wt line on it because it’s so fast, I mean stiff, and if I get a bass specific line, with a heavier taper, I mean, weighted end”.

“So, you’re telling me that they’re both 6wt fishing poles, I mean fly rods, but this one is shorter, stiffer, uses a different line and catches different fish”.

“Um, yes.”

“I don’t get it”

Exactly.

Sep
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Explaining the New Fly Rod

Fine re-cap of a common situation. I'm contemplating buying a rod that would fill basically the same niche as one I've already bought the blank and handle kit for. That'll be fun to explain.

If you end up buying a different reel for that 7wt line, I'd suggest sneaking it in the house.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

thats funny, she sounds like my mom.

i was acutally thinking about bying one of those predator sticks after i buy my new five weight. could you maybe post a review about what you think about them please?

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad that I'm still single.

MP
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sep,
How's that thing been treating you? The rod looks very intriguing

Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was good Sep.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Sep,
How's that thing been treating you? The rod looks very intriguing
Cliff,

I like it a lot but it definitely wasn't love at first cast...

The first time out I set it up with a 6wt WF trout taper and it was abysmal. I thought I was okay with a fast rod as my 8wt TFO Axiom is no noodle, but the combination of the Predator's speed and length, 7'10", had me struggling mightily. Seemed the line just wasn't loading the rod enough, though that could just as easily have been my inexperience/timing with a stiff stick. It was seriously ugly. At another's suggestion, and as mentioned above, I took it home and overlined it a step with a 7wt bass bug taper and the difference is absolutely amazing. Opened the rod right up.

With the line switch and a couple of uses under my belt, I'm definitely happy with the rod, especially for bigger, heavier bass flies. It really does cast well and is a fish fighting beast. I haven't caught anything big on it yet, but yesterday was able to horse a feisty 16" largemouth out of some rocks that would have been problematic with my other 6wt. It should battle the lunkers pretty well. Its backbone also makes it much better at setting the hook on hard bucketmouths, something my slower rods were not always efficient at.

At slightly under 8' and quick, it will never feel and cast like my silky Winston IM6 (few do), but then there's nothing elegant about chunking big bass bugs anyway. Forget a bunch of false casts; just pull and shoot and this rod does it well. This 6wt Predator is now my go to rod for tight places and chunky largemouths and it's darn near perfect for it. If you can afford a specialty rod for bass, and at $199 it's not too pricey, I think you'd be happy with this one. I expect that the Sage versions and the upcoming TFO Clauser rods are also strong considerations, but I am where I am.

Hope this all makes sense. I'm relatively new to the game but learning.

Sep

P.S. This post's opening conversation with the missus was actually quite fun, done with tongue planted firmly in cheek. She's no dummy. I got the rod because I wanted it, not because I needed it, and we both knew it. She was just yanking my chain. In truth, her logic was flawless. In my blog, I added the following note to the bottom of the converstion:

Written with love and profound appreciation for the lady of the house who, despite my jest, really does get it. At the very least, she gets me, which is all the more amazing.

I'm really a pretty lucky guy.

Last edited by Sep; 08-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sep, good report buddy.

I think I'll have to give one a workout myself, and will try it with both 6wt and 7wt lines as well.

What reel do you have on it? I'm wondering how the balance works out on such a short rod.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
What reel do you have on it? I'm wondering how the balance works out on such a short rod.
At the moment I have an Orvis Mid Arbor Battenkill III on it that puts the balance point about two inches into the handle, about where my index finger lies. The rod is 3.5oz, the unloaded reel 5.7. A slightly heavier reel might be optimum, but it's not too bad this way. At least, not bad enough for me to go out and get another one just yet.

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 08-05-2009 at 01:02 PM.