The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Good or Bad?

I decided to include maps with all of my new posts on my blog.

Have had three guides complain that i am "Kissing and Telling" *TODAY*

Exactly what does that mean to an angler that has fished the

streams in the area for 47 years? Who am I kissing? I have

earned the information I put out.

What do you think about sharing information on a regional blog?

How many people actually read blogs?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Good or Bad?

Hi Spinner,

I like you and read most of your post but I have never been to your blog. I am not a blog guy so my input may not be worth much.

As to reporting on local waters. I hate to see any water that I fish covered in a magazine article. In your case you are covering local water and if someone did an internet search for your waters would your blog come up? If yes, then there may be a bunch of people who had not fished your water before but they do now. When this can become a problem is when these new fishers may be killing the big fish or all fish they catch. I will share fishing spots with most anyone who ask me but I don't publish the information for the world to see. The reason I don't publish the information is I will tell someone exactly where and how to fish my spots. If the world sees that information then my spots may be exploited and I will be looking for other places to fish.

I fish a great river that holds a bunch of bass that seem impossible to catch. The river is very short and only a few people fishing it would impact the fishery. It gets a lot of boat traffic and tubes but very few fish it because the fish are really tough to catch. In fact the first time I fished it I was with my bass fishing partner. There were fish all over the place but no hook ups. He won't go back even after I told him I could catch them now. I am not going to publish where this river is or how to catch the bass. That does not mean I wouldn't privately share the information.

Here is another problem with publishing you best fishing spots. Lets say you take two people to a special spot and you show them how to catch the fish. They go away and each tell 2 more people and so on. Now if you publish the information and 25 people in your area see it and they share with two people and so on. Too much information can hurt your fishing area. The bigger the water the less impact publish information will have.

I think only you can decide what information you will provide on your blog.

Frank
Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Good or Bad?

Spinner,

I find that I agree wholly with Frank. I moonlight as a contributing writer for a publication. As I endeavor to produce entertaining and informative articles I draw the line at mentioning precise logistical information. The creeks and rivers where I fish deserve a certain level of anonymity. With ATVs, boats, float planes, and GPS systems in use at the level they are today you are fortunate to find a location that enjoys a fair level of obscurity.

I believe that an intrinsic part of fly fishing is that it should fuel the desire for learning and exploration. I attempt to inform readers by sharing techniques and strategies and do so with enthusiasm but I always stop short of doing all of the research for someone else. Discovery does not always demand disclosure. However, as you put it, you have earned the information that you put out. I would humbly caution against publicizing all of your knowledge to anonymous individuals whose numbers are unknown. Perhaps somethings are better left unsaid.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;