The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shell Shocked!

Like dhayden said I imagine we will look back at 4.00$ a gallon as the good old days in the not far distant future or at least younger generations will.

And in all reality I in many ways agree with the current energy secretary that Dan mentioned. Yes you heard that right but likely for different reasons.

8 Bucks a gallon would sure help people realize the need for alternative energies and perhaps get the ball rolling a bit faster.

Unfortunately I am afraid I will get what I ask for and then my fishing days will be cut in half, but the time must come when dramatic changes are made and not just pushed onto future generations.

We could keep pushing it back and let our children or their children deal with it as has been done in the past already but regardless at some point (like long ago) we will need to wake up to the fact that we are dealing with a limited resource.

In actuality I don't "want" to see gas prices go that high, I don't think anyone does. I would rather just see alternative options to alleviate the dependency we have on oil for transportation.
I saw gas at 3.33$ this morning I think that is up 33cents or so from last week, but it wont surprise me one bit to see 5+ later this year.

It will be interesting to pull this thread up in 10 or 20+ years

Touchy subject for me sorry guys I realize I may be on my own here.

Cheers,
Watson
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a understandably touchy subject and who doesn't want alternative energy. The problems lies in the fact that nothing has been invented to replace oil or gas economically. The most sensible thing the country could do at the moment is to start converting cars to run on natural gas. We have a natural gas filling station nearby and the dollar per gallon equivalent cost is $1.50...that's right $1.50/gallon. Some of the factory installed nat gas fuel tanks are getting as low as $4,000.00, it's a great option but until our political leaders can figure out a way to get their hands on the money to be made, it will go nowhere.

Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
It is a understandably touchy subject and who doesn't want alternative energy.
Dave you are absolutely correct from what little I know.
but I doubt the oil companies are stoked for alternative energy and I'm guessing they have some persuasion in politics/government.

Possibly why we paved over railways and trolleys and made freeways throughout the country.

My bad controversial subjects are a weakness of mine I apologies for contributing to pointing this thread in that direction.

Take if for what it is, just my opinion

The fact of the matter is this whole oil debacle is going to really damper my number of days on the water if it continues in this way and that would be a bummer.

Peace,
Watson
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
The most sensible thing the country could do at the moment is to start converting cars to run on natural gas. We have a natural gas filling station nearby and the dollar per gallon equivalent cost is $1.50...that's right $1.50/gallon. Some of the factory installed nat gas fuel tanks are getting as low as $4,000.00, it's a great option but until our political leaders can figure out a way to get their hands on the money to be made, it will go nowhere.

Dave
Hi Dave,
that was trend here 10-12 years ago and many cars converted to natural gas and price of driving those cars were much smaller than cars on diesel fuel,2 or 3 times cheaper than petrol.....but price of gas rosed over years and now if you want to drive 100km you need same amount of money for gas or diesel....
Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Hi Dave,
that was trend here 10-12 years ago and many cars converted to natural gas and price of driving those cars were much smaller than cars on diesel fuel,2 or 3 times cheaper than petrol.....but price of gas rosed over years and now if you want to drive 100km you need same amount of money for gas or diesel....

Hope you still have an old nat gas burner because horizontal drilling is headed your way...

Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You may not be aware, but the oil companies make less profit from a gallon of gas than just about anyone else involved.
Right on Dan...Its really easy to hate BP etc., when the 'crats of all kinds make a parade out of how much profit these companies make. Its really the 'crats of all kinds that are hosing us...the taxes on oil are far greater than any private profits earned.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Hope you still have an old nat gas burner because horizontal drilling is headed your way...

Dave
I dont have it...I love one uncommon sound to american ears ... the sound of diesel engine

But,I do think that in 15-20 years from now most of us here and you there will go fishing on bike