The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shell Shocked!

and Chevron, and Mobil, et al. Watching fuel prices this past week rise faster than a flash flood! Driving past a station I go by every day, saw the guy out changing the prices, came past later to see diesel had gone from $3.99 to $4.16 per gallon. Sixteen cents in one day! Ouch! I can remember the "gas wars" when I was a kid, lowest price I ever saw was 19 cents per, now it goes up almost that much overnite. Ouch! milt.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shell Shocked!

I feel your pain! We're pushing $3.50/gallon for 'regular,' Diesels close to four. (And that was several days ago...) Need a 20 gallon fill-up? Kiss a minimum of $70.00 away Talking to the 'ex' whose now in Hamilton, MT .... their price was $2.93. Given where one places is vs the other how do you get darned near a sixty cent spread?

The only really good thing is the Public Bus system is a bit over 3 city blocks away and can drop me off with in yards of 90% of the places I want/need to go. As a 'Sr. Citizen, a 'buck' a way. Or if you can do your grocery shopping and get back on the bus in under 90 minutes ..... $1.00 total.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

It was last Thursday when it spiked, I filled my work truck at another location and paid $3.84 for diesel. Directly across the street, another station had it @$3.99, not 100 yards away! I do live in a tourist area, (strike 1), in CA, (strike 2), and must drive to fish for trout, (strike 3). milt.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the Canadian border. Thanks to the gas prices there, they gouge us an extra 15 cents a gallon more than just 40 miles South of here, and 25 or 26 cents more than a hundred miles South. The Hosers!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Gee, but fortunately, the petroleum companies are posting, yet again, record profits. I'm so happy for them. Let's just all do our part to help them post more and bigger profits.
Hopefully, we'll keep giving the oil producing countries more and bigger...ah, never mind.
Gary
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Gas prices...a very sore subject fed upon by the dim wits of us all.

Oil companies are profitable at 9$/barrel.

The word windfall was coined in the oil and gas industry.

I have to stop though as my next comments will be political.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Gee, but fortunately, the petroleum companies are posting, yet again, record profits. I'm so happy for them. Let's just all do our part to help them post more and bigger profits.
Hopefully, we'll keep giving the oil producing countries more and bigger...ah, never mind.
Gary
You may not be aware, but the oil companies make less profit from a gallon of gas than just about anyone else involved. Minnesota gets 21.7 cents/gallon. Washington (the state) gets 37. Then tack the 18.4 cents/gallon the federal government gets. By the time you get done with all the other taxes and fees, the federal government gets, it's about 59 cents/gallon. There are the speculators, refiners, and employees all taking a cut. When you get to the end of it all the oil companies make a whopping 8 cents/gallon. Right around a 2.5% return on their investment in exploration, drilling, creating jobs and everything else they do for us. Find any other business out there with a smaller profit margin. When I don't like a company, I stop buying from it. If it was not for oil, we would be living in caves and chasing dinner with a sharp stick. Something I know how to do, but I think I will keep using all the things oil gives me, like DVD's, my car, every piece of plastic I own, my fly lines, and more. Oil is not just gasoline. You have a choice to use it or not, pick one.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-02-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

During the oil crash of 83 oil got down to about $9/bbl and thousands lost their jobs. Profitable at $9/bbl....no way.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 PM

Reasonable prices I can deal with, it's the wild fluctuations that throw me for a LOOP! I'm already changing plans due to fuel costs, and I have a poor man's boat (i.e. float tube). milt.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Lost jobs at 9/Brl...Yes but was trimming fat.

We are the apathetic americans that allow this to happen. REGULATIONS and FEAR.

I happen to not mind the high prices on fuel as I am in the oil and gas industry. It has run through our blood for generations. They always said may daddy farted west texas dust and pissed west texas crude. He was an oil man and two of his sons are still thriving in the industry.

I do know what the cost of production and delivery is and where our price increases come from and will roll along at whatever price. As a matter of fact I just bought a beautiful rod form Diver Dan with revenues form the high price of oil.

And yes, very profitable at 9$/barrel...Oil companies have seen the cycle and are their long term planning is out past 20 years...So they can find a reason or an expense...

1.25$ gas in the tank and 25$ oil is not a problem nor is it going to put anybody out of business that shouldn't be.

I already see apathy for the oil companies...they did what they needed to do and the people are following right along.