The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 03:51 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default GAS Prices and fishing

With the rising cost of gasoline I have found myself peoed and have restricted my fishng by 50 percent and traveling only a few miles close to town for pond fishing.. The pond fishing is a blast and will only get better in the next month. I have quit those 120 mile round trip fishing adventures as they just don't seem as necessary..What have the rest of you been doing to save your hard earned money and still enjoy the sport of fly fishing besides watching it on tv?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: GAS Prices and fishing

Bought a house that needed work.

That's not really an answer to your question but it sure has interfered with my fishing time. Good news is I'm headed up your way and will be fishing the LMFR tomorrow and friday. REALLY looking forward to it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:28 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: GAS Prices and fishing

I agree. I have been to the river only once this year where as if gas was at resonable price, I would have been alot. I just settle for going down to my pond for gills and catfish. Still is'nt down on the river at daybreak, but it gets me by till I can make it.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM

waynemorgan is on a distinguished road

for me the lower mt fork is about 500 miles ,the bay is only 120 but i dont have saltwater gear yet i gave away all my fishing gear afew years ago (but not my fly rod)now i need more gear ,just to see any fly-fishing gear i have to drive over 50 miles oneway ,that is over 20.00 i could spend on flys that i need very bad.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

gas prices are rough. ecspecially when i spend about 30-40 a week just going back and forth to work. when it comes to fishing i can easily spend that in one outing. by the time i fuel up the truck put gas in the boat and fuel in the stomach it's rough. really hoping to try some new spots this year both on the fly and the new boat.(fly fishing included)
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Wayne,
I checked because I was curious, and the nearest fly shop to you (that I know of) is actually 40 miles away. (you probably already knew about Tackle Box Outfitters on N New Braunfels in San Antonio, but I just wanted to make sure) Go along when somebody you know is going to Northstar Mall or something and just have them drop you off at the Tackle Box. Bruce will be happy to fill your head with as much good Fly Fishing info as you can stand, and totally understands that not everybody wants to spend as much on fly gear as Steve ABEL and Gary LOOMIS think they should. If you learn everything there, you could always go look around Sunset Ridge Hardware down the strip, Get hungry?- go grab a bean burger at EZ's. (god I wish I could walk to one of those for lunch every day again.

In case you hadn't guessed, I used to work there and think very highly of their owner and staff. (If you happen to meet the nicest and hardest working lady I know while you're there, tell Stella Cliff says hello.)

Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 AM

waynemorgan is on a distinguished road

thanks cliff,i just saw the tackel box on the map i was up that way thursday but did not have time to stop ,i will have to make a trip there soon .down town san antonio sucks when you drive a crewcab dually ..
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

281 north, exit hildebrand, rt on hildebrand, left on broadway, right on austin highway, left on new braunfels, and its across the parking lot from Twin Sisters bakery and cafe.

On a different note in this same thread, fishing up at Beaver's Bend was great. I caught about 30 over the day and a half, on all sorts of techniques. I had the most fun swinging wets through pools on spillway creek, since those fish seemed to go airborne almost every time I poked a jaw. I have never seen that area (or any area maybe) more green and I think I will now refer to that area as the "Okie Smokies".