The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Animal Rights Morons...

Thought the group might be interested in this item I found ...

It seems PETA has applied through some Fed program to take over the Grand Haven Lighthouse and make it a museum and education center for the Icthyoholocaust. From the Detroit News article:

"We want to renovate the Grand Haven lights as a memorial to the billions of fish killed annually by sport fishermen, as well as for their flesh (commercial fishing industry)," said Lindsey Rajt, manager of PETA's campaigns department. "We also want to make it a fun and educational place."

Tentative PETA plans call for an education center, where visitors would learn about fish. There also would be a cafe, offering vegetarian fare including "faux fish."

Signs would likely announce the lighthouse as home of PETA's Fish Empathy Center

As Dave Barry says, I am not making this up. They've also applied to take over another Lake Michigan lighthouse on the Wisconsin side, and a couple of Atlantic lights, too. Here is a section of a PETA form letter to be sent to Dan Wenk, Acting Director of the NPS:

There is a mountain of evidence that fish suffer enormously when dragged from
their homes in large fishing nets or impaled with metal hooks by anglers. Dr.
Donald Broom, a scientific advisor to the British government, said, "The
scientific literature is quite clear. Anatomically, physiologically and biologically,
the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals." Biologists
have found that fish develop relationships with other fish and show affection by
gently rubbing against one another. Fish have individual personalities, talk to each
other, and grieve when their companions die. Some fish are capable of using
tools, while others gather information by eavesdropping. Dr. Sylvia Earle, the
world's leading marine biologist, said, "I wouldn't deliberately eat a grouper any
more than I'd eat a cocker spaniel. They're so good-natured, so curious. You
know, fish really are sensitive, they have personalities, they hurt when they're
wounded."

This is the kind of thing donations to Animal Rights organizations are used for, the money sent to them does nothing to help stray or homeless animals.

Dan
Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Animal Rights Morons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Thought the group might be interested in this item I found ...

It seems PETA has applied through some Fed program to take over the Grand Haven Lighthouse and make it a museum and education center for the Icthyoholocaust. From the Detroit News article:

"We want to renovate the Grand Haven lights as a memorial to the billions of fish killed annually by sport fishermen, as well as for their flesh (commercial fishing industry)," said Lindsey Rajt, manager of PETA's campaigns department. "We also want to make it a fun and educational place."

Tentative PETA plans call for an education center, where visitors would learn about fish. There also would be a cafe, offering vegetarian fare including "faux fish."

Signs would likely announce the lighthouse as home of PETA's Fish Empathy Center

As Dave Barry says, I am not making this up. They've also applied to take over another Lake Michigan lighthouse on the Wisconsin side, and a couple of Atlantic lights, too. Here is a section of a PETA form letter to be sent to Dan Wenk, Acting Director of the NPS:

There is a mountain of evidence that fish suffer enormously when dragged from
their homes in large fishing nets or impaled with metal hooks by anglers. Dr.
Donald Broom, a scientific advisor to the British government, said, "The
scientific literature is quite clear. Anatomically, physiologically and biologically,
the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals." Biologists
have found that fish develop relationships with other fish and show affection by
gently rubbing against one another. Fish have individual personalities, talk to each
other, and grieve when their companions die. Some fish are capable of using
tools, while others gather information by eavesdropping. Dr. Sylvia Earle, the
world's leading marine biologist, said, "I wouldn't deliberately eat a grouper any
more than I'd eat a cocker spaniel. They're so good-natured, so curious. You
know, fish really are sensitive, they have personalities, they hurt when they're
wounded."

This is the kind of thing donations to Animal Rights organizations are used for, the money sent to them does nothing to help stray or homeless animals.

Dan
Opposition letters sent to politicians can do wonders. Also the same type of letter can be sent to the same Dan Wenk (NPS) that peta is mailing too.
Talking to lobbyists, I learned politicians receive very few letters from constitiutants. When they do get a letters, they pay attention to them. peta doesn't rest, so why should we? Fight the crazy ba$tard$. That's the main reason they won in Minnesota.

BTW Prof. Donald Broom is a professor at Cambridge University in England. A professor of animal welfare. And a member of peta (surprise, surprise).
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Opposition letters sent to politicians can do wonders. Also the same type of letter can be sent to the same Dan Wenk (NPS) that peta is mailing too.
Talking to lobbyists, I learned politicians receive very few letters from constitiutants. When they do get a letters, they pay attention to them. peta doesn't rest, so why should we? Fight the crazy ba$tard$. That's the main reason they won in Minnesota.

BTW Prof. Donald Broom is a professor at Cambridge University in England. A professor of animal welfare. And a member of peta (surprise, surprise).
Amen!!!! Couldn't agree more.

Larry
Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you give me a politicians name for the area I will call them. I love calling politicians. I do it all the time. I write letters as well. They do so many stupid things there is no shortage of things to give them guff over. Where is this light house? By the way, if it is a federal program everyone's tax dollars are going into this thing. That makes all of us relevant in this argument.

Remember to have your peta speyed or neutered.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

im so sick of PETA and other tree huggers messing around with people trying to either make a living,enjoy the outdoors, or get food...so i joined the second PETA....

People, Eating, Tastey, Animals!!

but yea....
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

I will be honest with you guys, I like the fact that they want a place that they can educate people on the fish. It will show people how complex, diverse and important fish are. Maybe getting people to speak out about saving them. One example about talking to politicians would be the Anti-shark Finning Bill which John Kerry proposed. I'm deathly scared of sharks but certainly don't think they should be finned and left for dead. But im not a fan of the whole slaughter campaign they think fishermen have. I'm pretty sure if their broccoli ran they would throw a shovel or rake to kill it. I don't get why they would have "Faux Fish" as an item on their menu. Wow how funny that they cry over killing a fish but they go and make a joke of it, nice way to support their cause.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyogi View Post
I will be honest with you guys, I like the fact that they want a place that they can educate people on the fish. It will show people how complex, diverse and important fish are. Maybe getting people to speak out about saving them. One example about talking to politicians would be the Anti-shark Finning Bill which John Kerry proposed. I'm deathly scared of sharks but certainly don't think they should be finned and left for dead. But im not a fan of the whole slaughter campaign they think fishermen have. I'm pretty sure if their broccoli ran they would throw a shovel or rake to kill it. I don't get why they would have "Faux Fish" as an item on their menu. Wow how funny that they cry over killing a fish but they go and make a joke of it, nice way to support their cause.
That all sounds nice, but they teach that fish can talk and use tools, miss their captured friends and relatives. And complete nonsense. Finning is bad and it has been in the works to ban it long before Kerry, who I have zero use for, came along. The IGFA has been pushing for legislation world wide. There are places to learn about fish. Universities and colleges. Your local library. All sources far more reliable than the kook squad we know as PETA. No good can come from them getting a foot in the door anywhere. Especially when it involves my tax dollars. These folks are not living in a reallity based world and should not be using our tax dollars to mush the minds of yet another generation. The idiot ratio in the US is already far to high for my taste. NO GOOD CAN COME FROM THEM DOING ANYTHING.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The Grand Haven light is on the West Coast of Michigan, where the Grand River enters Lake Michigan.

PETA does not educate people on reality based information; they have their own thoughts and educate people to those thoughts proven or unproven. When you dig into their research and information most times it can be proven to be flawed.

As to shark finning; that is totally wrong IMO; I was taught that if you take an animal, you use it. The animals I'm talking about do include fish; C&R doesn't violate that tenet in my mind.

I posted this to try in a little way to educate my fellow sportspeople to the dangers of groups like PETA.

By the way I am a member of the other PETA; People Eating Tasty Animals.

Dan
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
To most people, this statement lumps both local and national branches of the Humane Society and ASPCA in with the nutjobs at PETA.

We should point out that "Animal Welfare" (Humane Society and ASPCA) are technically quite different and not pushy vegan crusaders.

PETA makes themselves a joke, and I think this criticism, while comedic in tone, is fully deserved- http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...rce=videoembed

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
We should point out that "Animal Welfare" (Humane Society and ASPCA) are technically quite different and not pushy vegan crusaders.
Point taken. I actually like the Humane society and the ASPCA. I built a fishing rod for the Governor of our State to use for the fishing opener which he autographed. It was then raffled off to raise money for our humane society. They do good work. PETA on the other hand needs mental help. Till they get it though, I suggest they take two hamburgers and call me in the morning.