The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Great thread and some very nice knives. I have more than I can count, but my collection leans heavily towards Spyderco. They're local for me, at least for the next couple of days. They offer many "Golden Colorado, USA Earth" made knives, including the one in my pocket. The owners are true patriots. If I get a chance before this thread dies,I'll post some pictures of mine. At this moment they're in a container heading east with the rest of our household goods. I'm also a fan of Chris Reeve folders, have a couple Sebenzas.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

So my dad has bought myself and my brother a knife just about every year we have been alive (25+ years now) so we have quite a collection at my parents house. Last christmas I wanted to find my dad and brother a good bone handle knife but really struggled finding a style that I knew they would like. Well one day I was in my local outdoor shop (JAX for those wondering) and found a knife from a company called Helle. They are made in Norway and are amazing quality.

I picked my dad and brother up the same knife - Harding

and decided to get myself the Hellefisk. Which actually floats in water =).

All around amazing quality and great aesthetics

Oh and I got my dad this bad boy for his birthday - Gransfors Small Hatchet
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chauncey,

Nice stuff, I like them all!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Here's some more from the low buck end of the display case!
Click the image to open in full size.

These are the ones that stay in my deer day pack. The top is a freebie I got with a vacuum I bought 20 years ago. Next is a Swedish Mora High Carbon that goes on a lanyard around my neck. Next, A Chinese Buck that was my retirement gift from the state after 30 years-I'm not mad: They've since cut these gifts out completely. The bottom is a Wyoming gut/skin combo.

These are historical for me: The top is the knife I learned to throw with. Next is a Camillus issued to me in the AF. It was taped to my LBE so I'd look like a badass, but the only thing it was used for was cutting the bands off MRE boxes. Next is an Official Boy Scout. I used it for the 2 years I did shipping and receiving truck parts. Sharp enough for boxes, stout enough to cut metal banding. I sharpen it with a file. The next guy was a give-away from some outdoor newspaper-Try an issue, get a knife. I gutted my first deer with this one, including splitting the pelvis. Came to like a short blade for the "interior" work. The bottom is a Japanese Buck my Mom sent me. Well made and very sharp-it's too heavy to pack around.
Hardyreels likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 10-01-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Content/spelling
Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Great thread and an old one at that.

Here are my favorites and when used.

Kershaw Leek stainless Steel. It's my EDC Knife. Probably the best open assist mechanism on a folder ever made.

ESEE-5 and ESEE-6: My do all camp and bushcraft knives. Very well make, takes an edge very easily and nice in the hand.

ESEE Izula-2: Another EDC knife. Can also be warn as a neck knife. It resides in my backpack that goes with me everywhere.

Marbles fixed blade drop point: Hunting knife. On my hip when in the woods. Used for field dressing and some skinning work.

Case XX Tapper: My skinning knife for deer.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I like knives as much as fly rods I have benchmades case whittlers gec some custom folders and fix blades wanting a a cris reeves folder that will be my next purchase. I like my knives. I give credit to my dad he ways edc the sharpes knife he wore out his knives by sharpening he could stand. Dull knife he saying a dull knife was not a safe knife. So for the last 25 years I have become a professional scissor sharpening for the hair sons in 3 states.& sales of high quality Japanese Scissors
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I like old, fat fish and old, well-made knives.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Makes me ashamed of my collection
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Fillet knives have to be Leech Lake knives one of the sharpest I've seen. Opinels are excellent for the money plus I have the beefy Doug Ritter MK2 that will probably start looking for a new home shortly as it is bigger than I need for carrying.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
I like old, fat fish and old, well-made knives.

Nice collection!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Cool thread I found here, you guys have some nice collections

So with runoff season in full effect and the thread about the fly fisherman who drowned in Oregon, reminded me I need a knife to hang on my wading belt.

I have a super nice Spyder folding knife that is a virgin, it hasn't as much cut a piece of paper. I have had that knife in my hip pack for a few years. It has been there for a just in case type of moment when I hike in to the back country. Basically it was a $150 whim when I had a pocketful of cash. I also have a old gerber folder from 24 years ago that is my "pocket knife", truth be told it might be hard pressed to cut cold butter with it.

Now I need to grab one that is neoprene sheathed type of set up. Definitely don't need something in the realm of Abel. Just good enough to cut me free of my waders the day my clumsy old fat rear falls in the river. It literally will go on my wading belt and probably stay there. I guess I will hit Sportsman's Warehouse or something this weekend and see what I can find.
Hardyreels likes this.