The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

I like original Schrade knives. I have a bunch of them. Here's some good fishing knives.

Click the image to open in full size.

I like these. They weigh nothing in your vest.

Another good light vest knife by Gerber that I use.

I have what is refered to as a "end of days" knife that is just like this one only without the DU shield on the side. Good usable saw.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by goldentrout; 12-26-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Nice;

That is quite a bunch of knives GT, love those fillet knives. I went back and looked at the picture I put on the thread and I see that I didn't put in the one that works the best. I have an old Rapalla with a 7" blade (you guys know the one I'm talking about) I have no idea why but it takes an edge and keeps it better than the others I have. Gotta get that out of my tackle bag and snap a picture, if I recall this would have been purchased around 1978. They were sold everywhere,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

While I can appreciate beautiful collector knives, I mostly buy knives based on utility.

For fishing:

11" gerber filet
7" rapala filet
Fishing Swiss Army knife (20 year old gift from my brother)
Kershaw Tactical Blackout folder (I have three Kershaws, this is my favorite, and without a doubt the sharpest folder I own)

For hunting:

Kershaw Vapor II
Buck folder (gift from my father 25 years ago)
K-Bar serrated (gift from my brother last year, replaces the one I lost 10 years ago)

The Kershaw Blackout is an assisted opener, very fast and easy to use. That and the Swiss Army go everywhere I go. On a side note, I've found that the Swiss knife can be sharpened to a pretty good edge and will hold it for a decent period of time. It's an old knife, so I don't know if the new ones are the same in that regard, but mine's a keeper.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old Swiss Army Hiker and they have been sharp like a scalpel as long as I remember.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

ahh knives, I think every kid with interest in the outdoors is addicted to them, and some like me never outgrow the addiction.

My first real knife my dad gave me was a kershaw ken onion folder. I use this knife as an everyday utility tool.

As for hunting, my two favorites are knives of alaska, the bush camp and cub bear combo, the bushcamp is a little large for cleaning deer but for butchering it works great. The cub bear is an awesome caping knife and good for fine detailed cutting. knives of alaska are some of the best quality tools I have ever used and they hold a wicked sharp edge.

There are only 2 knives I dont use. A folder from buck called the alpha hunter with a beautiful rosewood insert in the handle. I first saw this knife when I was about 14 and I have always wanted it. My girlfriend got it for my 21st birthday and it has not seen the field, they dont make it anymore so it stays locked up in the gun safe along with one other knife. It was my great grandfathers, given to him as a gift as a young boy. Even then the knife was a hand me down so I can roughly date it to around 100 years old. Its a remington, full tang drop point, about a 5 inch blade. You can tell the handle was hand wrapped leather, its pretty cool. My grandfather had a man make me a custom sheathe out of bear hide he hunted, skun and did all the work himself. Hopefully I can post a picture of it on here someday, if I can ever figure out how.

Brian
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I saw that Casey posted that he got a new Gerber for Christmas and so I am bring this back to life. Since posting this thread I have picked up two more Benchmade knives. Both are the Griptillian combo blades, I bought one for my brother for his birthday and liked it so much I got one for myself. Then I had to choose between Spear Point or Tanto Point on the blades so I did what any good knife freak would do, I got both.

I'll wait to see if any Christmas present knives show up and I'll post a picture of the new ones I have now tomorrow. Hey Catfish, I'm liking that fixed blade you carry a lot!

Ard
It's hard to have too many of good things like knives and flyrods and hunting rifles...since nice knives are more affordable than nice rods and guns I tend to find myself wanting another one a little more often.

I have that same Kershaw fillet knife that I like to bone deer with. And an assisted opening Kershaw, too, that is my everyday knife. That Benchmade is a beauty, I'd really like one of those. And how do you like the Griptillion? I like the look of that knife and was considering one for the fishing pack.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

One of my Portland-marked Gerber EZ-Outs with the SEAL point grind. This point style really does limit the knife's utility in regards to cleaning fingernails and the like, but in a combat role it's essentially unequaled. I'd be as likely to leave the house without pants...

the764
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Default Here's some more;

Nice Blade John,

Dean,

I got 2 of the Griptillian knives...........Duh It was an accident, really One with a Tanto point that I am not using and the other that has been on duty for a few months, I like em fine. The little one with the Ivory Micarta scales is a Paul Presto from Lone Wolf Knives and has an unusual locking and opening design. If you goggle Lone Wolf Knives they explain better than I can what makes them different.

There are some more around here, I think in my tackle bag...........When I come across them I'll stick them on here.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
fysh likes this.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Two thumbs up for that Benchmade on top, Ard! I'd carry either one but much prefer the simple hole in the the blade to the stud-type assist. If you ever decide to part with that one, give me a shout.

the764
Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Administrator

They both have the Axis Lock / Opening lever on them. You can open either with the lever.