The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

a couple new ones. ard, the new gereber is on the way.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

i will post that as well.
fysh likes this.

ARFE
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

One knife does it all for me; fish, line/leader/tippet (for those "miscalculated" casts where the trees actually move in on you as you're just completing your backcast ), rhodies, greenbriar, etc. and I don't' go packing up into any headwaters without it; particularly in the Spring...........

Click the image to open in full size.

It's clean and it's stoned sharp.

Pocono
Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Nice Kabar! I'd like to get one some day. Very useful knife!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Always liked that knife Allan (kabar) but never got one. I carry an old Western Knife Co. Bowie for heavy work. It has proven itself since 1984. Chop wood, dig holes, split the pelvis on big game or driving in tent stakes, it's pretty versatile. and double as a machete if I don't have one with.

I forgot to mention those, a machete. Nancy and I both have one by Gerber, we got new ones 2 years back because the old Army Surplus ones were really beat up. These are the ticket for the Bush.

And for John, here's another with the circle blade opening system, I forgot about this knife till you mentioned the Circle blades.

Frank doesn't share my love for the Bowie but I'm putting it on anyway It works for me

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Spyderco; For John

The Trail Maker;

This is knida fun huh? Like visiting someone and they keep getting stuff off the shelf or out of the drawer to show you. Nice knives guys
fysh likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Nice Bowie! I'm looking at a new one myself to buy. I lean heavily toward traditional type knives. I do stray from them once in awhile. Since your Bowie causes some controversy, I'll do you one better and show two of my ugliest knives. I never payed any attention to these until I started collecting. The first time I picked one up I really liked the feel and grip of the ugly rubber handle on it and bought it to use. A Camp Knife and a drop point hunting knife.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

That Schrade is reminiscent of a Ghurka, albeit without the handle offset. I'm a big fan of those. Perhaps it's more what would be termed a bolo-style blade?

Ard, I love the Spyderco knives but I got one for a gift several years ago and found the belt clip to be 180 degrees off from the Gerbers I've been carrying all these years. I tried adapting for several months and couldn't get into the swing of it, so went back to my Gerbers for everyday carry. Beautiful knives, though. Well made with lots of attention to detail.

the764
Old 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That Bowie has done a lot of work from digging latrines to splitting kindling for the fire It has put in the hours. I have owned that for 27 years.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

That Bowie has nice lines, Ard. The Frazier Arms Museum here in Louisville has a number of belt knives from the western expansion period, and that old Western looks like it would fit right in with them. What's the overall length on that one?

the764
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I am guessing 14" I did not go measure it. I pass time while camping by finding a dead tree and throwing the knife. it does not work like in the movies believe me but I adapted a style that gives the desired result with a measure of accuracy up to about 15'. 27 years is a long time and we have got it down pretty good. Whack job? Maybe,

Ard

Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is one of the most interesting thread I've seen anywhere.

And really on point. Fly rods this, gear chuckers that .. but a Personal Tool that we identify with 24/7/365. In our pocket, in our car, attached to our belt, in our pocket.

Again, personally, I can't think of a more 'personal choice' a 'man' could make.

For me just three jump to mind. The first was a knife my Father made up in Ocean Falls, BC; made from a broken section of lumber mill band saw blade. This thing would take an edge that you'd have to beat it against a brick to dull same. Stoke, stoke, stoke .. a bit of leather stropping, and you could shave a cow.

Now gone. Back story to that was my 'first command' in the USCG. 44 footer in the east end of the Straights of Juan de ****ka. Dead dark and we ran over a broken loose float end of someone's gill net. That ... insert lots of 4 letter words .... wrapped around our prop/shaft like there was no tomorrow. Two answers: Call for help .. if you can find us ... or just strip down and go over the side with a line tied to you ...and cut yourself free. Guys above with battery 'Battle Lanterns' shining down in the water, me freezing my 22'ish year ass off .. but finally got us cut free.

When they hauled me out I learned what the word 'Hypothermia' really meant. Dropped Dad's knife, now somewhere in the bottom of .... end story of the above was I was 'air lifted off' at day break. I had a few (very few) occasions where we had to 'air-vac' someone, but never thought I'd be the one 'in the Basket.'

The next knife, I actually found. One of the 'old builds' of the Boy Scouts of America kit. Carbon steel, won't hold an edge all that well, but you can sharpen same with a rock you pick up off the beach. Found, as in I was cleaning a fish .. and there it was under my nose.

Knife is in the glove box in my car .. and that's been several cars/trucks over the years.

My 'everyday' knife is a Buck "Work Man." By everyday, I do mean 'everyday.' Worked for many months at the Bateman Sr Meals center here in Medford. Just short of 1,000 hot meals out the door 5 days per week. Errrm, that's by 0800, then you start all over again for tomorrow ...

Three 'blades,' one of which is a flat head screwdriver. The other two? I can cut open/fix the world.

Someone, my Father included, thought each of those through, and got it right.

fae
fysh likes this.