The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: This is one of the most interesting thread I've seen anywhere.

Great story Fred!!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

You guys are a bad influence on me! Showing off all your one handed knives got me to looking at them online. Here is the result. Like I need another knife. The three one handers that I have are hard for me to open with the little bit of arthritis I have in my hands, or thumbs I should say. So I went for the push button automatic. Now I have to look into getting a permit for it!

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Wow, that's a heckuva knife, golden, fully automatic!

The Kershaw assisted opening feature is really nice, smooth and fast. It is absolutely a one hander, and you don't need a permit!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 AM

That's good advice Dean.
I looked at alot of knives and the Schrade's design really struck my fancy. It appears to be a copy of Bokers Wagner knife for 30.00 less. All the reviews I've seen on the knife were good. It's one of the last ones to sport a safety lock since Benchmade is sueing EVERYBODY over a patent and all the other makers have to remove the safeties, for now. New automatics with the spine safeties are getting harder to find because of the bogus lawsuits. I bought the last one,(in that configuration), that the website had in stock. When the exsisting stock is gone, I think that's it, at least for awhile. As I understand it, the lawsuits have been going on for a few years.

I'm thinking that I will probably remove the spring from the knife and use it as a stock factory knife until I move back to Wyoming where switchblades are legal. It only cost about 13.00 more to get it with the auto conversion compared to a "buy it now" stock Schrade on ebay.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM

paymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a couple of my favorites. These were made for me by a couple friends.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
fysh likes this.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Excellent flint napping and shaping of that primative knife. Looks like he used real sinew to attach it to the handle too. Very nice!
Very nice bone handled caping knife and sheath too!
You have nice friends!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm a sucker for Damascas Steel blades

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Sorry I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post pictures on here yet; but my my everyday carry is the Benchmade Tanto from Ards picture. I had the same large griptillian for a few years and then I lost it somewhere in 11 mile canyon on the South Platte!!! Talk about bummed out. So I carried my CRKT Crawford falcon (3.75 folding liner lock) until I just purchased another griptilian a while back, this time a tanto. I use it several times a day and I have found the tanto shaped blade to be convenient at times.

I like to have the option of stabbing at my disposal if I were ever to run into a self defense situation; either animal or otherwise. I've got plenty of Jiu Jitsu training for the vicious people, I probably wouldn't need the knife. I don't know any Jiu Jitsu that works on viscious dogs. There is a standard knife defense for defending yourself against dog attacks; place you non-knife hand inbetween your neck and the dog, as the dog approaches be sure that he has access to this arm (your left arm is kindof going to take one for the team here), Feed the dog your non knife hand and give a side stab thrust into the heart area with the other arm. I delivered pizzas all the way through college, so for 5 years I was on the lookout for a mugger or a vicious dog. I have had way too many close calls.

That's greusome; I hope I never have to do that but I came real close once with a boxer. I was very glad I had a quality piece of steel. Love the Axis Lock!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I almost forgot; the K-Bar made from D2 tool steel. The ultimate camping/outdoors weapon!! You can hack down a forest full of 4" trees with that thing and not have to sharpen it! What a BEAST!!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 PM

The thought of having to use a knife for self defense makes me cringe.
I have guns for that purpose. I don't want to get that close or get bit.
Where I live it is better to do a CCW license than to carry a knife anyway.
I carry a M-60 S&W .38spl when I fish. Small and light and waterproof.
Besides, I'm getting too old and broke down for knife fighting anyway...
Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I hear that; I always keep the .45 under the pillow at camp, and close at hand everywhere else. CCW, and open carry in OH, Lucky enough in OH to be a free state in that respect at least. Always ready to shoot, stab, claw, etc. whatever the circumstances prescribe. I'm glad to have BENCHMADE and SPRINGFIELD ARMORY .45 at my disposal!!