The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

I just bought the "tactical" knife pictured above, but not for "tactical" purposes. I tried to find a knife with the most useful type of blade that has a button lock mechanism for the easiest one hand opening. I surely have no intention of using it for offensive or defensive purposes. Hard to find the most multi-useful blade styles in those types of knives.
I understand where you are coming from, commenting on defensive use. I don't even think about that stuff when it comes to knives. I collect pre-2004 Schrade knives of the traditional type pocket and hunting knives. The new knife is the scariest looking knife I own. I may have to paint it pink or something. But the button lock will be comforting to my arthritic hands.

I'm not criticizing your choice in knives or anything but I have my own reasons for not buying Benchmade.....Not a very nice company.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentrout View Post
I'm not criticizing your choice in knives or anything but I have my own reasons for not buying Benchmade.....Not a very nice company.
Do tell if you don't mind. Have you or someone you know had problems with the company, or is it a company stance on something or another??? I am not indebted to them in any way, just think they have the most durable designs out there.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Some stuff about Benchmade;

Vdeo BOKER Discontinued Magnum Kalashnikov & Speed Lock As We Know It BOYCOTT BENCHMADE en VIDEOS.es

Boycott Benchmade Knife Company

One thing we do have in common, Mr. Brown, is the 1911.
Except I went with the Kimber.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I'm not so sure that I have been convinced of anything after watching/ reading those two links. Either everyone is upset at the company who is succeeding and crying foul (which happens often), or there is something unscrupulous about their actions (which also happens often). Perhaps I will just claim my stake to ignorance and be in benchmade bliss for a while longer. Though I will not buy another without a little further investigation now. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I fought the urge to buy Benchmade for a long time thinking that there was no way they were worth the price. One I bought my first (Mini Ruckus) with the axis lock I realized that Benchmade was indeed worht the price. Nothing beats the axis lock for ease of use and a secure lock-up.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I found a bargain on those the two Griptillians' I got last year. I paid $80 each while they were retailing for 119 dollars for the Tanto and 139 for the sheep's foot point with the circle back blade. I can send you the link for the seller via PM if you contact me. Ever since I picked up an Osborn Axis three years ago I was liking the Axis open / lock / close mechanism of these blades.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM

As of today, the 3.45" griptillian is on e-bay for $80 or less shipped. More for a black blade. That is $40 off of list. I agree on the ease of use on the AXIS lock; incredibly strong design seems like too.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Geez, I didn't know that! I guess I didn't do all that well after all. The knives I bought were three with the black combo edge blades and where I live the Sportsman's Warehouse was selling them for more. I ended up buying from a guy with a franchise in Florida and paid 80 per knife. It all started as a gift for my brother and sort of grew from that one knife.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Your really gonna like this deal (long gone by now). I bought my first Griptillian like this when I lived in Springfield MO. I then lost it in Eleven Mile Canyon CO a few years later. The Bass Pro Shops headquarters has a closeouts store right next door for discontinued, returns, 2nds etc. They had an entire rack of those griptillians with discolorations on the pocket clips. There was swirls in the finish of the pocket clips and they were selling them for 46.00!!!! I should have bought 3!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Don't have a pic of it, but I usually carry a Cold Steel folding Tanto. Blade is 5 inches?

It's sturdy and up to anything I put it through. I carry it camping and fishing, sometimes just around town. Rarely, though