The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

That is an awfully large folding blade! I have one that is about 4" and that seems to be pretty large clipped to my pocket. But I guess if you want a folding knife that can double as a camp hatchet that's what you have to put up with! You can definitely do some stuff with a 5" blade that a normal 3+ is not up for.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Your really gonna like this deal (long gone by now). I bought my first Griptillian like this when I lived in Springfield MO. I then lost it in Eleven Mile Canyon CO a few years later. The Bass Pro Shops headquarters has a closeouts store right next door for discontinued, returns, 2nds etc. They had an entire rack of those griptillians with discolorations on the pocket clips. There was swirls in the finish of the pocket clips and they were selling them for 46.00!!!! I should have bought 3!
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The Griptillian on the bottom of the picture is what I paid 80 for, black blades with thumb hole combo edge and the OD green scales. I got 2 of them, one for my brother as a gift and one for me. I also put another like this with a Tanto point away in case I ever lose this one. The knife upper left is my trusty Gerber Speed Blade, it has been service since 2004.

The Leatherman is new. I lost my 22 year old classic recently and I guess I was acting weird without it so Nancy came home one day with this new Wave. I still miss my old one but the Wave is a good quality tool. I use these tools a lot.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

Quick question, what do you guys find the best tool is to sharpen the serrated part of the knife?

I only have 3 knives, a Buck for my deer hunting, a Spyderco, and a folding Puma
Multifunction tool is a leatherman.

Cheers
Richard
Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon flyfisher View Post

Quick question, what do you guys find the best tool is to sharpen the serrated part of the knife?
Use a sharpener kit with the round ceramic stones. Works great. I've used something similar to the Spyderco one in the past. I think the model currently out is around $50. Its a full kit, so you can sharpen just about everything with it.

Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker System Review

I used to work in a machine/grinding shop and that is pretty much all I did was sharpen various tools. Knifes, saw blades, paper blades, scissors, drill bits, etc. You name, I probably sharpened it.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
Use a sharpener kit with the round ceramic stones. Works great. I've used something similar to the Spyderco one in the past. I think the model currently out is around $50. Its a full kit, so you can sharpen just about everything with it.

Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker System Review

I used to work in a machine/grinding shop and that is pretty much all I did was sharpen various tools. Knifes, saw blades, paper blades, scissors, drill bits, etc. You name, I probably sharpened it.
Great Link!

Anyone can buy a knife but understanding the various bevels on different blades is the challenge. The best knife is the sharp knife. Again, Great Link,

Ard

Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road

I've been pretty fortunate to still retain some of the touch required to properly sharpen blades, regardless of what they are. Pocket knifes, kitchen knives, axe blades, chain saw blades, etc.

I can still sharpen a drill bit on a bench grinder, and not need the special tool to do it, but the drill bit sharpeners do make it much faster.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I have used a Lansky 3 stone sharpener for years to establish a good angle that is the same on both sides. It makes my blades shave the hair off my arm. For touch ups in between a major sharpening and in the field, I use an EZE-Lap, 'Model-M' with brass handle or 'B' with aluminum handle.
I carry a Gerber 'diamond hone' in my vest. It's about the same as the EZE-Lap only smaller and lighter, has a hook sharpening groove and a flat on one side.

The Lansky kit has optional special stones to sharpen serrated blades but the angles on the stone guide never seem to match that of the serrations. So I use them free hand. A better option may be the EZE-Lap 'EasyFold 571', made just for the job.

Model M
Click the image to open in full size.
Gerber Diamond Hone
EasyFold 571
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Administrator

You are breaking my heart with that picture. The reason I have a new Leatherman is that I lost my Model M sharpener with leather case (it was 30 years old!) and my original Leatherman Classic (the old OD green finish kind). I lost both from a saddle bag on the snowmachine on the last trip home from the cabin. It's an 80 mile ride and I stopped to take some pictures and failed to zip the left side bag all the way shut Both tools rattled out somewhere in the last 37 miles. I did not realize it until I got home...........

I hate losing things

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain Ard! Last year my EZE-Lap, Leatherman Wave and Leatherman Juice tools got stolen. I was pretty bent out of shape. That's the second S2 Juice tool that has been stolen from me. I'm sick of buying them.
I haven't replaced the Wave yet either. It had a special padded nylon case with a Mini Maglite on the side of it. Yeah, he got that too. I have a couple of Leatherman Pulse tools and a Juice Kf4, so I'm not exactly going without. I sure do like those S2 tools though.
I did go get another EZ-Lap a while back though. I think the price on it was about the same as 20yrs ago when I bought the first one. They don't make the sheath for them out of leather anymore. You can see it in the picture. I don't know what it is, but it's hard as nails and stiff as a board. I like the leather better. Even if it did turn the brass handle green.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I hear that!

My old Easy Lap had none of the diamond powder left and was essentially just a 'steel' but the leather case was all that! I was planning on replacing the sharpener this season and still having the worn vintage case to carry it in. I will be mourning the loss for a while. The new Wave (Thank You Nancy) is good with me and I have been using it hard since I am involved in a home upgrade project. It has a diamond coated file in the tool kit and that is doing just fine at keeping things on edge at this time.