The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

I've got a knife with some asymetrical bevels on it. First of all, why would they do that? There is one side of the blade where the sharpened edge is barely noticable; probably less than 1/64 in. of a bevel. The other side is beveled much further up the blade. It is probably 1/32 or larger of a beveled face. So the cutting edge is not directly under the center of the blade's thickness; it sits almost entirely to one side of the blade. Is there one way to sharpen this blade better than another? And I really can't figure out why it was done that way. Anyone have an explanation, and know how to sharpen this?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jason,

Whenever I can I sharpen my blades under my 4X magnifier that I use for tying. With the bright light and magnifier it is clear that many knives have a different bevel on each side. I simply follow the existing angle on either side of the edge and they turn out paper shaving sharp.

We have a sharpening pro who has been watching the thread and I hope he will answer also. I think this is done by the manufacturer to create a longer lasting edge. If both bevel are identical the resulting edge will be thinner and thus not as resilient under use. With one side being a longer or deeper bevel and the other being more steep the resulting edge is still sharp but is also more stout.

Does that make sense? Follow the existing bevels, don't try to change them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, bumping to the top.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I've got a knife with some asymetrical bevels on it. First of all, why would they do that? There is one side of the blade where the sharpened edge is barely noticable; probably less than 1/64 in. of a bevel. The other side is beveled much further up the blade. It is probably 1/32 or larger of a beveled face. So the cutting edge is not directly under the center of the blade's thickness; it sits almost entirely to one side of the blade. Is there one way to sharpen this blade better than another? And I really can't figure out why it was done that way. Anyone have an explanation, and know how to sharpen this?
Thanks for the bump fysh

Jason,

I've had ample time to consider your question and since the sharpening pro has not revisited this topic I'll offer up my second opinion here. If a blade as fine as a pocket knife were to have matching bevels it would indeed be sharp but........... and this is an important 'but'. The edge would be very sharp however it would be fragile also. the actual edge will be too thin for it to be resilient to continued use. The business of using asymmetrical bevels produces what (for lack of a better phrase) I will call an 'axe edge'. Because the second bevel or as you put it, the one edge that is barely noticeable is the one that gives the knifes edge both sharpness and longevity.

A razor is very sharp but the blade will dull quickly when subjected to heavy cutting while a knife such as a Benchmade Griptillian is meant for continued heavy cutting duty. This heavy cutting duty is why I believe the majority of blades meant for field use possess the uneven or asymmetrical bevels at their edges.

Hows that?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As far as fillet knives go I have quite a few! All are discarded boning knives from various butcher shops and the blades have been thinned down and resharpened by the mobil knife guy that services the supermarkets. Being the son of a butcher I learned at a very young age how to use them properly and sharpen them as well. As my Dad would say nothing beats a good steel and for me that's what I use and my fillet knives are SHARP! The one thing I learned when using a steel is to make sure your strokes are even and equal on both sides and most important you stroke the entire blade up to the tip.Anyone who spends any time filleting will tell you how important it is to have that tip as sharp as the main blade!
Being an old Boy Scout my pocket and sheath knives get done on an oil stone with plenty of oil to float the shavings. Works good for me!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,
Now that my head has cleared from the meds a little, I pulled the gear together so's I could post some of my stuff.
Click the image to open in full size.
Now that we've all drooled over yall's high-end stuff, here's the other end of the spectrum.
The top one was a gift from my kids when they were very young. It stays clipped to the drawstring inside my waders. It has an easy to find quick release button at the end of the handle.
The long skinny one is a souvenir from overseas. I'd wanted one since my youth watching West Side Story and The Delicate Delinquent. It never leaves the house.
The Gerber stayed in a pouch on my duty belt. It will flick open without the use of the stud. Since I retired, it went to the fanny pack from the duty belt. Ditto the Leatherman.
All of these get sharpened on a Lansky.
If this thread comes round again, perhaps I'll break out the cheap but serviceable stuff from the deer hunt daypack.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Administrator

That's a nice group,

I always wanted one of the switch blade stiletto knives with the white scales, like yours but ivory scales. Real old school kind of knife they are. I use my leatherman Wave a lot and have a crew of Gerber's', everything you show are good blades.

Ard

Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I have lots of old knives, but this one is especially good for camping.

These are just collectibles that never see the fish.

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

Here are some Case sheath knives.
BTW, the lot in the post above is mostly Hubertus (left) and Case (rt).
fysh, von behr and noreaster like this.

Last edited by chechem; 10-10-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Here are a few I made from repurposed steel from early files and large saw blades. Heat treated and tempered the steel to 57 -59 hardness.

Couple bird and trout knives Handles in white ash from files

Woodlore style Bushcraft knife black cherry handles

Old 14 inch commercial saw blade that had damaged carbide teeth.
Plasma cutter. Then reworked blades and heat treated back to knife steel hardness.

Old file belt knife in Canadian Rock Maple

Nessmuk style skinner In African bloodwood

A clipper in ash with sheath

Large clipper style in blood wood I make the sheaths too!

Also enjoy refinishing old Swedish, Canadian or American axe heads and custom hafting them.

Also want to give a shout out to the Mora knives of Sweden. For everyday use around water I suggest the stainless steel Sandvik model. It comes in a variety of edges from straight blade to serrated to rounded tip for puncture prevention. I use a blaze orange handled one with a partially serrated edge for my fishing knife. Best blades for the buck which is little at under $20 for most modest models.

This one is the Mora Robust. A little thicker and wider blade with a little beefier handle. Probably the best overall knife in the world in its price bracket of $25 or less. This one is in carbon steel. Don't be fooled by the plastic handles. The stuff is indestructible. I used one as a throwing knife for over a year. Still works great.

Cheers
bigjim5589 and fysh like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

some nice stuff being put on here
beautiful collection you have there chechem
and beautiful work noreaster!
thanks john for waking this one up

casey

ARFE