The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Just a few of what has been collected through the years...

Click the image to open in full size.

...and this one, made by those guys in Orlando that is put away with some kit...

PT/TB
fysh likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

PT,

I have an Osborn like the first knife pictured but with the smooth blade. It is a favorite carry.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
PT,

I have an Osborn like the first knife pictured but with the smooth blade. It is a favorite carry.
Yup...the Osborne 940. I got a plain for my daughter and a serrated black for my son...that is the knife we use on the water...

940 Osborne Product Detail

The sharpener is from Triple Aught Design in San Francisco:

Sterling Sharpener TAD Edition

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Great bunch of knives on this thread!

As for me I’m just pedestrian, I don’t carry a long knive any longer, broke too many, but do use them for fish, 2 Dexters a 9” and 5” long along with Buck-123 6”. I do use a couple of clip knives a S&W 3” and a little Gerber 2” which is what I carry daily after retiring my Swiss Army Officer after being in and out my pocket for 35 years. I keep them all and more sharp with a 23 degree angle on 4 Smiths stones with oil.

Rick
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rick,

It's good to have you posting with us again, I kinda miss people when they go quiet for a while....................

I have knives like I have fishing rods & reels.......... except some of my knives are unused. You never know, what if I lost one? I got 2 of some when I bought them

It actually is a disorder but I'm too old to break it now.
fysh likes this.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I hadn't lost a knife in years. Except a couple weeks ago a friend and I took a trip to the Pit River. Had lots of fun but the weather was generally rainy and wet and the river was kind of blown out. We fished 1/2 on Friday, all day Sat and 1/2 day on Sunday. We were pretty wet on the way out so were looking for a covered place to get out of our waders before the drive home and found a winterized pizza restaurant with an overhang to change.

During tackle breakdown I set my old ACE hardware liner lock down and just forgot to pick it up along with an indicator and a few flies. This is the old knife that you take everywhere because its small, very functional and the one that you least mind losing, but perhaps will miss the most. Bummer.

The next Big 5 ad had the Kershaw Zing SS on sale for $21 and I downloaded a coupon for $5 off $25 or $10 off $50. So that meant I just had to get 2 Zings and a can of pellets all out the door for ~$43. Such a deal, and now I have a spare. I find the Zing perfect for my needs. What it gives up with a thin handle, it makes up by being easy to carry and the spring assist works very well.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Probably repeating myself here, but the best knife I ever had was a circa 1950's carbon steel 'Boy Scout' knife. Some extra 'tools' in the thing, but you could put a 'hair's edge' on the main blade.

Didn't buy it, actually found it in the river.
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Administrator

I've lost 2 that I know of, one back in the 70's a mini Buck Stockman and a Spyderco Mariner 'engraved' that someone walked off with when I left it lay on a hospital job back in 2006.

I posted all over the hospital offering a $250 recovery reward 'no questions ask' if it were left with the people at the HR office.

No takers............... the knife had history given to me by an old friend who got it in the SEAL teams........ I really loved that knife

Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Probably repeating myself here, but the best knife I ever had was a circa 1950's carbon steel 'Boy Scout' knife. Some extra 'tools' in the thing, but you could put a 'hair's edge' on the main blade.

Didn't buy it, actually found it in the river.
Yep, that old soft carbon steel was easy to hone and sharpened like a razor.
Best news is, those old BSA knives are cheap again. About 15 years ago they brought $50-70, but thanks to Ebay they've dropped in value to half that. Seems everybody had one in a drawer at home, so suddenly they weren't rare.
I see them at knife shows everywhere; Ebay too.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Love knives, love this thread.

I've got lots of knives, and can't stop buying more. For fileting fish (the rare times I keep any to eat) I have a 6" Grohmann filet knife. I also have an Opinel folding filet knife that my wife got me for Christmas which is a nice knife but which I don't use as much as the Grohmann. I've got a Grohmann DH Russell #1 belt knife that I use for hunting, camping, and just general wearing around in the bush. Grohmann is a Canadian knife company in Nova Scotia that makes great knives, both for the outdoors and the kitchen.

I've also got a bunch of Swiss Army Knives--a German Army model (the lockblade, which is basically the same as the Swiss Army model except it has a green plastic handle with the German Army crest on it--got it cheap in an army surplus store), a Swiss Army Classic, a Swiss Army Explorer (first "real" knife I ever got, a gift from my aunt for my 13th birthday), and a Wenger model whose name I forget that I carry around in my manbag that I got on sale for $10 when a local drug store stopped carrying them. I also carry around in my pocket a little Buck lockblade that I picked up cheap when a local hardware store went out of business--it has a 2" blade and grey plastic handle and is a great little knife, very handy for everyday "knifey" tasks.

I guess one of the reasons I've got so many knives is that I've lost so many over the years, especially Swiss Army knives. If this thread is still going a year from now I'll guarantee you that some of these will be lying at the bottom of a river or under a bush somewhere and I'll be cursing my lousy luck.

Scott