The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is it so big?

Recently while doing some paperwork a thought came to mind while looking at a roll of toilet paper. It occurred to me that the cardboard core at the center of the roll of tissue was much larger than needed for the purpose. Why is it so large? Couldn't the manufacturer make the diameter much smaller? Thus saving money and material?

A smaller core (Maybe 1/8 to 3/16 larger than the metal spindle on most holders) would not crush as easily causing wobble on the spindle which inturn makes unnecessary noise when your trying to be quiet.

Take a look and get back to me.......

"I've never missed a Steelhead by waiting too long. It's true, but I've missed plenty trying to set the hook too quickly." Dec Hogan 'A Passion For Steelhead'

Last edited by fysh; 03-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is it so big?

They need to be that big to make cows.
Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans and itchmesir like this.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

If I only had a nickel.. Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had an ex-girl friend ask me, not quite, but a similar question.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Paperwork? So that's what your calling it now.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yeah.............finally, but remember they still need to be big enough to "Doot-Do-Do" (like a trumpet).
Love the cow.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

What a hoot. Some topic for a fly fishing forum, lol! Anyway, sad to say, this topic may soon be moot; they are making "tubeless" rolls now.
Gary the TV commercial watcher.

P.S. also love the cow.

Last edited by gt05254; 03-09-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: cow
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
FlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Paperwork? So that's what your calling it now.
Davo stole words right of my keypad. And that cow is great!

I think you aren't the only one to wonder about that, but just never asked. Another question like it... Are the short urinals in men's restrooms for short guys or "Really Big" guys if you get my drift?
fredaevans likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought the short ones were for the young un's so Dad didn't have to stand there holding them up in the air while taking care of business?

There are many things around that if we just look at them we think....Why?

"I've never missed a Steelhead by waiting too long. It's true, but I've missed plenty trying to set the hook too quickly." Dec Hogan 'A Passion For Steelhead'

Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They are big for various reasons none of which really matter.................... Now the real issue, why are the boxes of Nabisco Crackers and Yogurt containers (to name 2 products) getting smaller while the price is increasing?

What other products can you name that have or undergoing this phenomena ie shrinking package rising cost? Yeah it's a hijack

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;