The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Explaining Another New Fly Rod

Click the image to open in full size.

And now, the winning ticket for the TFO Lefty Kreh Signature fly rod is, number 4-1-8-7.

YES!!! It's MINE!!!

And, best of all, Mary was there with me at the annual club pig pickin' and saw that I hadn’t spent an arm and a leg on my newest fly rod, this time. All was right with the world until that all too familiar sense of deja vous began to creep in….

“That looks like a kiddy fishing pole”, she innocently observed.

“I guess. But it’s really a 6ft 2wt. A very sweet little fly rod.” I replied.

“What are you going to catch with it?”, she asked.

“This is definitely a trout rod.”

“I thought you already had a trout rod. The one you were protecting when you bought that bass rod a couple of months ago”.

“Well, yes. But that one is a 9ft 6wt. It’s for bigger trout on bigger waterways. This is for small trout on tight little mountain streams”.

“But I thought fishermen liked to catch big fish, not small ones”.

“Umm, sure, usually. But they also like to catch different kinds of fish, in different kinds of places. It’s a challenge.”

"So you'll use this rod to catch the biggest little fish you can."

"I guess that's one way to look at it. If you're Dr Seuss."

“Funny. But you still won’t bring any home for dinner, right?”

“Probably not.”

“Where’s the reel?”

Gulp. “I only won the fly rod.”

“So, do you have a reel for it?”

“Well, not yet.”

“Oh. And what about a fly line? Can you use one you already have?”

“Afraid not. This is a 2wt rod and I’ll need a 2wt line”.

“But your last new rod was a 6wt and you already had a 6wt line but said it needed a 7wt.”

“You're right, but that was a special case. I do want a 2wt line for this rod.”

“Figures. So, let me get this straight. You win the rod but need to go get a new reel and a new fly line so that you can go away and catch little bitty fish that we still won’t cook. Right?”

“Uh, yes?”

“I still don’t get it”.

We’ve been here before. Exactly.

Sep

P.S. Before I get myself in serious trouble here, let me explain that these conversations are done with tongue planted firmly in cheek, a little friendly verbal sparing, if you will. It's a playful battle of wits, for which I am at a distinct disadvantage; first, because most of our fly fishing contrivances are truly indefensible in the real world (and we all know it) and, second, that I am thoroughly outgunned in the wit department by the lady of the house.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Explaining Another New Fly Rod

I find the back and forth to be quite funny. I'll back you up if you need additional rational Sep.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

So Sep, what is your plan to sneak the new reel and line into the house?

Dan
Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Funny story and nice rod too Sep....the only thing I haven't understood were the french words did you mean a feeling of "déjà vu"?(something you had felt or seen before)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Funny story and nice rod too Sep....the only thing I haven't understood were the french words did you mean a feeling of "déjà vu"?(something you had felt or seen before)
Yeah, my French is a little weak, but so is my English, so there you have it. It was definitely something I've felt/seen before. Click on the words and you will see why.

Sep
Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link SepNow I see why...Have you corrected the spelling of "déjà vu" on your blog ?I'm just like you when I get a parcel with a new rod...and my wife is as pleased as I am...and always pays compliments about it....although she doesnt' know anything about fishing poles...I mean fly rods
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
...Have you corrected the spelling of "déjà vu" on your blog ? ...
Well, I thought about leaving it as is because it seemed to fit my southern drawl (and sensibilities) quite well. But, in the end, I opted for accuracy since it seems so seldom that I can actually attain it.

THANKS for the editorial input!!!!

Sep
Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Sep, this is good and I can't stop laughing! I've had similar conversations with my wife, too funny and hard to explain to her.

Clint
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
So Sep, what is your plan to sneak the new reel and line into the house?

Dan

Got a new reel yesterday. We got "the call" Monday night that our daughter-in-law was going into labor with our new grandson so we jumped a plane and flew to Chicago. Arrived within a half-hour of his birth and have hung out a couple days. The Orvis store is about 4 blocks from the hospital, at the corner of Ontario and Michigan avenue, so I took a break and walked over that way.

Mary was too busy with the baby to notice.

Sep

P.S. The kid's much too cute for words...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

quote:The Orvis store is about 4 blocks from the hospital, at the corner of Ontario and Michigan avenue, so I took a break and walked over that way.
which was purely coincidental
congrats to the father and the father's father