The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:06 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Scotch ID

Gents, my wife has had this bottle of scotch since 1971 and we've been toting it around for the last 22 years. The story goes that Grandpa Ike and his crew were remodeling an old house in San Francisco in the 1960s and they broke a wall that held cases of this stuff. Being good Americans, they divided the booze and continued on with the plan of the day. Apparently Grandpa Ike gave each grand kid a bottle at birth and you're looking at the sole survivor. Now Ike's a great guy but has been known to drink a bit so the story could be exaggerated. I'm trying to find any information on this stuff and would appreciate your help. We're not trying to sell it but just curious. BTW, in my college days, the lean years, I came close to cracking this guy open. Thanks
Click the image to open in full size.

Oh yeah, I took a tour of the DMZ today and bought a bottle of north Korean whiskey. The Cat doesn't like it but it's a neat addition to the bar.

Semper Fi Gents.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Scotch ID

It was bottled in the 1950's. It's worth about $320.00 US.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi innes,

Haig and Haig is a well know distiller of Blended Scotch Whiskey. If you do a search on Haig and Haig Scotch Whiskey and you will get a bunch of information.

Frank
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Innes.
Being of Scottish descent,who doesn't mind a wee dramm or two,also having over the years drank bit of the Scottish water with malt added.
I knew Haig was an old maker of whiskey so I Googled "haig whisky" looking for more info where there is heaps of info which is good reading especially U-Tube.
Believe me there is nothing better than sitting around with friends after a days fishing,it sure beats working,than having a nice meal & a few scotches,if there are a few people around the cap is usually thrown away.
However the next morning is not always the best.
Brian.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi innes,

Haig and Haig is a well know distiller of Blended Scotch Whiskey. If you do a search on Haig and Haig Scotch Whiskey and you will get a bunch of information.

Frank
Indeed you will. As for 'potential value' this may give you a starting point. Haig & Haig Five Star / US Import / Bot. 1950s : Buy Online - The Whisky Exchange

I think Davo's got the number about right.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Aye Gents, I appreciate the information. I think maybe we'll just tuck the bottle away and let it rest. But, if we get attacked by robots or the crisis in Japan comes west, I'm going to drink it.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Innes

Haig is one of the premier distillers of blended scotches. They are the makers of Pinch which is a top shelf pour. If it were I, that bottle would be cracked open for special times. Treating oneself to a good scotch is a nice treat!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Davo makes a good point. In the bottle, it won't get any better than when 'they' put it into the bottle.

fae
Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Innes

Haig is one of the premier distillers of blended scotches. They are the makers of Pinch which is a top shelf pour. If it were I, that bottle would be cracked open for special times. Treating oneself to a good scotch is a nice treat!!
I got to get the wife to agree to opening it though. It's her bottle and she doesn't drink alcohol. Perhaps when we come back to America next year we'll find an occasion. vr
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I forgot to mention that they also make the Dimple Brand of Scotch,also as well as Haig another good wee drop,two of many I have tried.
Brian.