The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default collecting hair for flies

im supposed to shoot a doe on a buddys south texas ranch this wknd and i was gonna keep some hair off its back and its tail for flies. a buddy told me the best way to do this is to remove as much meat, then tack it up tight and just salt the hell out of it over and over. will this work fine? any tips? thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: collecting hair for flies

The trick is getting all the fat off. Tack it fur side against a board very tightly stretched.
Scrap the hide free of flesh and fat. Put it in a cool spot so flies won't find it. Salt it well. After it is dry and stiff, brush off salt, apply glycerine if you want a pliable skin. I freeze the patch just to be sure it is bug free. Then bag it in freezer weight baggy.
You might consider other parts/colors as well, chest, belly, etc.

Bigfly
Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rjackh,

Bigfly is right. Make sure you get some of the belly hair. It probably won't be as good hair as the Norther deer but good enough.

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 07:21 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

im not that concerned about having it be pliable, i just dont want it to rot and get a lot of slippage and i dont want it to stink like hell everytime i bring it out
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

There won't be a stink if you get all the fat off. Air dry thoroughly, a month at least.
I don't use moth balls or anything for bugs/smell, that might be telling to the fish.
Keep everything bagged, and any problem won't contaminate other materials.
I carry big baggies and collect road kill for free fur and feathers.
Winter fur is set to the hide, summer stuff will slip off the hide.
Good luck!

Bigfly