The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Using New Internet Browser

Hi Everyone,

I have been an IE die hard for ever but lately I have been using Opera for my Internet Browser. I have downloaded and deleted IE-8 four times. IE-8 locks up my computer when I use Tabs. I kept thinking they would get it fixed but it hasn't happened.

I also tried Fire Fox but didn't like it as much as I like Opera. I know Fire Fox, IE-8 and Opera have many of the same features. Over all Opera works best using multiple sites as I do to answer questions on NAFFF.

The big thing I find really useful is Opera's Speed Dial. They give you up to 25 sites that you can add to the Speed Dial page. When you open a new tab it opens the Speed Dial page and you select the thumbnail of the site you want to visit. You choose the sites you want on the speed dial and the page can be arranged by click/drag. It is simple and works great if you visit many sites at the same time.

Opera has a spell check so my post are edited as I type. There is also a narrow panel on the left side of the page that I have bookmarks, notes and a dictionary that is a click away. The panel can be at any location on the screen and even floating. You can configure everything and arrange the way you want the page to look like including choice of skins. You can import your bookmarks for other Browsers.

Since I have to log in as a member frequently I find the Log In button very useful. I can save the log in information for any site and if I go there I just click the Log In button and my screen name and password is posted. I don't use this for critical sites like banking but for general sites like NAFFF I find it very useful.

Opera is a free download and you can keep your other Browser if you choose. Here is a link to a help page that tells you how the Tabs Speed Dial works.

Like all Browsers Opera has a few quirks. I don't like how it adds a link but over all it works as advertised. I suggest you down load it and give it a try. If you don't like it, just delete it. 10.10 is available and it seems to be very stable.

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Using New Internet Browser

I use Opera too Frank. I learned a few things, like "log-in" from reading your post. Thanks Frank.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Frank, I've been using Opera on the desktop computer for about a month now. I like it better than IE and Firefox too. I had too many glitches with Firefox and then I found Opera. I still have to learn a lot about Opera. I do use the speed dial, but only 9. How do I get more?
I just figured it out Frank.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jimmie,

I knew that some of the members were using Opera. I have been very satisfied with the way it works. I also have been using Thunderbird as my Email client. I use Outlook for the family Email and Thunderbird for NAFFF. I know that Fire Fox is very popular but I didn't care for it as much as I do Opera.

One feature that I didn't mentioned is about the Tabs Speed Dial. If you close the Browser with out closing the tabs, Opera will take you back to the same sites the next time you open the Browser. So I can go directly to NAFFF with out first going to my Home Page. Between Opera and Thunderbird I have really streamlined my Internet activities.

Frank

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Hi Mojo,

Most of the options are pretty easy to figure out. I have spent most of the afternoon trying different skins and colors. Don't over look the panel on the left side of the page. You can add or delete what appears there. I find the Notes to be handy. Also the Down Load one. When you down load something using Opera it will appear in the down loads. Makes it a lot easier to find than trying to locate the down load in Windows. I have been using it for about three months and you should get version 10.10 if you don't have it.

Did Joni ever get her bamboo rod built. I don't remember seeing pictures of it.

Frank
Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to bump this up so it doesn't get lost too soon. Everyday that I use Opera I find it so much faster and easier to move between post, threads and sites. It has made my work on the forum much easier.

So I suggest you give it a try and see for your self. It won't make any changes to your other Browsers. You can always delete it in case you don't like it as much as I do. One caution if you want to keep your old Browser the default. When you down load Opera there is a box that is clicked to make Opera your default Browser. Make sure you un-click the box and your old Browser will still be the default.

What I have done is left IE-7 as the default Browser and my wife uses it to browse the Internet. I have Opera with just my NAFFF and associated sites in Opera. Now I don't have to mix my bookmarks with hers. That is a BIG help.

Frank