The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road
Default Can't find Hackle.... anyplace online?

Around here theres a hackle shortage and I can't seem to get any.... especially any types of colors. Do any of you know a good site that has a nice selection and fair prices... and color?

Thx,
B
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can't find Hackle.... anyplace online?

I have not ordered from them yet but here is the web address.
Collins Hackle Farm

They were recommended from another member here on the boards.

later
DAVE
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Conranch Conranch Fly Tying Hackle and collins are both excellent! I've purchased from both and though I'm new to tying one of the most recognised and respected tyers in California referred me to both. Collins is the better deal of the two when you buy a cape he includes the saddle.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 04-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I use Bear Lodge Angler. Good selection, reasonable prices, short delivery times. Bill and Kathi Morrison; easy to work with.

Bearlodge Angler- Online Shopping for Fly Tying, Materials and Supplies, Worland Wyoming

Pocono
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

this solution is easy: The Feather Emporium; feathers for fly tying and feather crafts.

has excellent supply and quantity. I have listed this source several times before; guess we don't search or something.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Have you tried a hair salon?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Conranch will NOT sell to hair salon people. Good for you Denny.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jim's Fly Co. is another option, although it appears he is also feeling the crunch and showing that he does not have any saddles available: Whiting Hackle | West Yellowstone fly shop | JimsFlyco .

While I appreciate that some suppliers won't sell to the beauty fad, it's definitely a business decision and they have to look out for what's best for them. Problem is, the fad will end and the suppliers will have burned some of their in-the-past loyal bridges.

Spoke with my local shop recently and they informed me that Whiting had sold out stocks at wholesale prices to the beauty bunch, thus essentially leaving their core businesses - the fly shops - sucking hind you-know-what, without a source of normally readily available hackle feathers. The free enterprise system is alive and well, but it appears little forethought went in to possible future consequences.

I'm sure the fad will pass, but what some of these suppliers have done to those who have supported them faithfully in the past may come back to bite them in the butt. We'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck in your search.

Kelly.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Have you tried a hair salon?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Conranch will NOT sell to hair salon people. Good for you Denny.
I was told the same is true of one our our local Fly Shops.

Kelly is right "it is a business decision" and in the long run it could bite Whiting in the butt.

Then again it may not since Denny told me that Conranch will only sell direct to tyers and not through shops I don't know if others are like that. Does anyone know if thats true of others who produce quality hackle? I know a few shops who cater to Catskill style fly tyers sell collins and I think read Ewing is popular in those areas.

Most experienced tiers I've spoken too in California if they buy dry fly hackle in a local shop tell me they will only buy Whiting. I don't know how many others agree with that, but if thats widely true then regardless whether fly shops were hurt by this fad; like it or not Whiting may have made a good decision for them.

What do you experienced Fly tyers think?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I will not hold a grudge against any company making good moral decisions for their business. When do we start the boycotting of Whiting.

No one knows what the end result of this fashion fad will be, the newly stuffed coffers of the feather coups may provide for new R & D and better feathers. Perhaps it will keep a company that was on the verge of closing the funding necessary to stay open for years to come.

My real fear is coming home from work and seeing my 2 girls running a hackle stand at the end of the drive.

PS: I have my stockbroker buying grizzly hackle futures.

Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

This is by FAR the best place to find hackle or any of your other needs.

Fly tying hackle