The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Use for Duct Tape

My buddy, Bern, and I went to give his outboard jet boat a shakedown run up the Lower Yuba River. We were almost up to our turnaround point when we made a hard 90 degree turn. In mid-turn the impellor shoe clipped a downed tree. A couple of minutes later, there was a sudden drop in power. We anchored just off to the side to see the damage.

The impellor shoe was just barely hanging on. This was not good. The impellor shoe is where water gets sucked into the impellor of the jet motor. With it damaged, it was not sucking in water properly.

When Bern and I looked at the damage, we both said two words - duct tape. It's the fix all. He taped it up, and then we started fishing. The fix worked like a charm.

Here's one picture of the repair job.
Click the image to open in full size.

MP

PS: I got three wild Rainbow Trout (2x14", 1x16").
Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Use for Duct Tape

Now that is rad! Duct tape saves the day once again... and you land some great fish in the process... sounds like an eventful day

Justin
Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MP,

That really brings back memories. I had a 20' freighter canoe with an outboard jet in Alaska. The first time out I got moss in the water pump system and didn't have the tools to remove the foot. A long paddle back to the landing. I made up a tool kit where I could remove the foot and get to the impeller and water pump. Even had a special tool to hold the drive shaft in alignment when I reassembled. There has been a bunch of times I had to work on that jet to get home. Was always getting leaves, moss or rocks into the impeller area. My wife and I use to fish one spot that was several miles down river. That kit saved a long hike a bunch of times.

Frank
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MP: That looks like a pretty good on-the-spot repair! Nice work. A couple years ago when I bought a used drift boat, one of the things Davo advised me on was to always have a roll of duct tape aboard. I have yet to use it but I always carry a roll should the need arise.

Larry
Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just found this thread

That's a nice fix. I believe that the Wal Mart store in Wasilla Alaska still holds the record for Duct Tape sales in North America, no joke. Especially in the bush duc tape as it is known is the most important thing to have next to a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of 'Heet Diesel fuel treatment'. The roll of paper and the heet will create a fire starter like a big wick that will burn for 20 minutes or more, that's long enough to start even damp wood. The Duc tape does everything else. I have used it to bind a broken snowshoe miles away from the cabin and it got me home. Around the cabin it gets used very often and is a don't leave camp without it item.

As for junk in the intake foot; I have only had to tear down the unit once while out in the hitherlands but then I've only had this boat two years. Weeds and moss are another story, they are indeed the bane of the jet boat. I have learned quick about all the things that can stop you on the spot and remain very lucky when it comes to choosing the right channel. Hewitt Creek has more logs in it than any other place I've been so I get good training every trip. I owe my luck to the fact that our little tunnel hull will scoot on about 2.5 - 3" of water if you are moving at least 15 mph. This is a huge factor when traveling the rivers and creeks here. The shallow running boat combined with a center console so you are standing and can see over the bow so as to avoid obstacles are (for me) the hot setup.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Ard is right about Duc tape in Alaska. Never went any were in the boat or plane with out duc tape, goop, parachute cord and my magnesium fire starter.

Frank

Magnesium Fir Starter
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow Frank, that's weird I just had to glue the striker rod back on my starter yesterday. I used Gorilla Glue and it looks like it will not come lose again. You sure did all the right things while you traveled here, those who don't either get rescued by the National Guard or they eventually get found by some hunter or fisherman but not alive.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;