The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Saving money on tapered leader ?

When the tippet on tapered leader got to short this is one way to connect a tippet to the leader.
( testing the video on small pocket camera)

Let see if the link will work.

VideoDemo - tob1's Photos

Trygve
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Saving money on tapered leader ?

Nice idea,
But You should use larger line (old fly line) in 2 colors to show better. Another thing is try a perfection knot instead. makes a smaller size knot compared the the triple or double surgeons knot. with a perfection you can get really smal loops witch makes laying out the leader on a cast better. Also you should talk about what you are doing. just my 02.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

With this knot system you will use the same tapered leader and only unloop the short tippet and then make a new tippet to add to the tapered leader.
So practically you can use the same tapered leader for a whole year and only supply it with new tippets.
This is a system that have been used by Scottish salmon fishermen.
If I have to talk with the video, then the video would be a comedy
I see that I should have used bigger lines with colors, but no such lines in the house when I tried the camera.

Trygve
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice, I do something of the same when I get a tapered leader down to that point, kinda like making your own leaders, I usually step it down using 8 or 6 lb flouro followed by 4 lb tippet.

d
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good tip...I've been using a loop to loop connection for my tippets for a few years...I make a loop when I put the new leader and it can last for a season...