The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up If your a 'Manly Man' and you want to lay railroad track, this is how you do it.

http://dc132.file.qip.ru/flash/playe...&sharing.code=
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If your a 'Manly Man' and you want to lay railroad track, this is how you do it.

Thanks. I always wondered how RR tracks were laid. I'll pass it along. vr
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: If your a 'Manly Man' and you want to lay railroad track, this is how you do it.

That is maybe the most serious batch of machinery I've ever seen!
Gary
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Ashland (Or) the main rail road track was just behind my home. 'Oh God!!!??? You'd buy a $400,000 home with a rail road track right behind you?????'

Loved it, twice a day; 0730'ish with a cup of coffee siting on my upper deck waving to the train crew as the slowly went by. The PM one with a beer in hand after working in my garden. I think these Guys even knew where I lived and were looking 'my way' as they chugged past.

End game (and to the vid-clip) there was one bit of track just a few feet above my property line where the cars would sink down and sway close to a couple of feet. This, in my child like mind, was not a good thing.

Got/called the Rail Road folks and told them 'I think you have a huge accident looking for a place to happen.'

'Thank you Mr. Evans for your concern, we'll have someone look into it.....' I knew I'd hit someone who didn't give a shxt. Called back and asked for a "Supervisor" involved in track maintenance. Got him, and a voice you that would scrape paint of a wall. Told him what I was looking at, and my concern ... and that I had my video camera set up and ready to film a train wreck.

'I'll have someone come out and look ....' 'No, you come out and look, here's my address/phone number.

End game is 'he' came out and spent three days with me in my home ('Shxt Man, skip a motel, you need to see this and make up your mind, it's your nickle to clean up what's going to happen. Not a question of 'if,' just a question of when? ...Guy was a total hoot!!!!).

End game was he did a "Holy ****" and had a track inspection crew driving this bit of track a day later. He got their telephone report and did another 'H-C.' Crew was back the next day and we chased them down in my car and cut them off in mid-Ashland and had them drive the track equipment back to where we were standing along side the section of track.

No idea what the 'end game' cost but 'they' pulled up miles of track and re-set same.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: Interesting video, I had heard that they now have these automatic track laying machines, but hadn't ever seen one. I think they still do it manually around here, the reason I say that is that you see the new railroad ties spread out along side the tracks just prior to the upgrade. Thanks for sharing the personal experience, that also was pretty interesting.

Larry

Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to see how they lay track today. Thanks for posting Fred.

Dave
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM

Haven't 'lived' in Ashland for just about a year (day to day) as I'm in my new home here in White City. But it was darned interesting to 'wave down a train' and tell fellows ... 'you may have a problem a mile up the track.' The mile was right behind my home.

fae
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Those machines are a heck of a lot faster at putting down track than the way they did it in Blazing Saddles.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats impressive!

ARFE
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I can see how they lay miles of track in a day around here in my neck of the woods. They have been removing all the old railroad ties and putting down the cement ties as shown in the video.

Very cool thanks for sharing the video!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !