The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Boot Murtha Rally October 1st

Boot Murtha Rally October 1st

bootmurtha.com/

Help the people of his district in PA redeploy Worthless from Congress!

There are just so many reason WHY.
quote: One thing is clear: when Murtha says that he is defender of the military, he is a liar.

While chairman of the Defense Committee (1991-1994), Murtha oversaw the reduction of military spending. It is also a sad state of affairs that the lobbying firm run by John Murtha’s brother hauled in $20.8 million from the 2004 Defense bill alone because of Murtha's connection (LA Times article, June 13, 2005). I call that criminal.

Murtha has built gymnasiums and "accomplished" other boondoggles in his district. He then has the audacity to say that our troops are not getting body armor -- after he has stolen the very money that would have bought the body armor.

Murtha’s looting of the defense budget is not the worst crime Murtha has committed against the military. The worst by far is his advice on how to keep America safe. All we have to do is compare Murtha’s 1993 advice on Somalia to his 2005 advice on Iraq:

"Representative Murtha, has urged Clinton to withdraw U.S. forces from Somalia" (Murtha, AP article, Sept. 22, 1993)

"I'm very hopeful that my proposal is something they'll take seriously, that he'll (Bush) get a few of us to the White House and talk to us about this." (Murtha, Nov. 21, 2005)

"They're subdued compared to normal morale of elite forces..." (Murtha, Sept., 1993)

"The Army is broken, worn out... living hand to mouth..." (Murtha, Dec. 1, 2005)

"Murtha said he did not ‘see any achievable goal or national security interest in this operation." (Murtha, Oct., 6, 1993)

"... continued military action in Iraq is not in the best interest of the United States of America..."(Murtha's website, Nov. 17, 2005)

You may ask why this is relevant. It is relevant because of its impact on al Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. Here's what bin Laden deduced from the “Cut ‘n' Run” foreign policy Murtha advanced during Somalia and Bosnia, and now Iraq:

"We will continue, God willing, to fight you and your allies everywhere, in Iraq and Afghanistan and in Somalia and Sudan until we waste all your money and kill your men and you will return to your country in defeat as we defeated you before in Somalia."

- Osama bin Laden, June 2006 audio release
Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Boot Murtha Rally October 1st

Mike I'm quite suprised that you consider the LA Times a reliable source of information.

I would just like to outline some illogical assumptions made by this post:

Quote:
While chairman of the Defense Committee (1991-1994), Murtha oversaw the reduction of military spending. It is also a sad state of affairs that the lobbying firm run by John Murtha’s brother hauled in $20.8 million from the 2004 Defense bill alone because of Murtha's connection (LA Times article, June 13, 2005). I call that criminal.

Murtha has built gymnasiums and "accomplished" other boondoggles in his district. He then has the audacity to say that our troops are not getting body armor -- after he has stolen the very money that would have bought the body armor.
This implies that Murtha knew in the period between '91-'94 that the acting President in 2003 would send over 150,000 troops to invade a country without making sure we had the funds to make sure they are properly equipped, so he better leave some extra funds for that.

It also assumes that a chairmanship held by Murtha 10 years earlier is the reason his brother's lobbying firm made a lot of money off of a defense spending bill pushed through by a Republican White House, Senate, and House.

It implies that building a gymnasium, likely to be used by children in public schools or community centers is a "boondoggle", and that the money to build them was taken away from money for body armor, which is not how govenrment works.

An implication is also made by the quotes in the lower part of the post that Murtha should have known that American troops needed to keep fighting in Somalia in 1993, based on something a bloviating terrorist says in 2006, who proved he was an effective enemy of the USA in 2001. Also implied is that Somalia should have been viewed as a threat to US security in 1993, based on a strategy pronounced by a terrorist in 2006.

WE should also think about whether this man,

Quote:
He learned about military service from the bottom up, beginning as a raw recruit when he left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marines out of a growing sense of obligation to his country during the Korean War. There he earned the American Spirit Honor Medal, awarded to fewer than one in 10,000 recruits. He rose through the ranks to become a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. He then was assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. In 1959, Captain Murtha took command of the 34th Special Infantry Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for Vietnam in 1966-67, where he served as the S-2 intelligence officer for the 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division and received the Bronze Star with Combat "V", two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. The official notification of award for his Bronze Star and Purple Hearts are available to view here. He remained in the Reserves until his retirement. This first-hand knowledge of military and defense issues has made him a trusted adviser to presidents of both parties and one of the most effective advocates for the national defense in Washington.
Or our current Administration, with all of its military experience is to be trusted on the condition and morale of the military.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
An implication is also made by the quotes in the lower part of the post that Murtha should have known that American troops needed to keep fighting in Somalia in 1993, based on something a bloviating terrorist says in 2006, who proved he was an effective enemy of the USA in 2001. Also implied is that Somalia should have been viewed as a threat to US security in 1993, based on a strategy pronounced by a terrorist in 2006.
Somalia was a clusterf***. I lost a couple very close and dear friends in that engagement. We we "hung out to dry" by the Administration of the time.

Other than that you make some good points.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear that Mike, I work with a guy who got to the party too late to help out much, due to being too far away. He describes it as "if you've seen black hawk down, I was one of the marines landing on the beach after most of the bad sh't happened. we were off..." somewhere i don't remember.

He was on the helicopter that picked up Capt. Scott O'Grady from Bosnia though.

Think you won the "non-combative reply" contest Mike, good job.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM

I wasnt aware that there there were any Marines involved in "Task Force Ranger" on October 3, 1993 as that was a Ranger/Delta Operation. You must have misheard him. Marines landed December 9, 1992. almost a full year before "Task Force Ranger".
Old 09-14-2006, 07:33 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

Something I took from the military is that "It takes a whole lot of 'attaboys' to make up for one 'aww sh**.'" I think Murtha has mortgaged his 'attaboys' until the end of time. I won't cast any aspersions for good service rendered - I understand Benedict Arnold was a fine soldier before he stepped on it...

Bruce
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

He said that he arrived after the action, and yes said that that operation in Mogadishu was a Ranger operation. Maybe the boat he was on arrived late and he was there as a backup of some sort. I may have misheard him.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 AM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

Congressman Murtha's deserves to go down with his sinking ship of a party to oblivion. His insanely stupid advise on how to prosecute a war speak volumes for him and his party. Last time I checked we are in a war against a horde of evil people bent on destroying us and our way of life. With our soldiers out there risking thier own life and limbs for us, we need to offer constructive and helpful criticisizm to our current government, not the constant divisive tactics being waged by todays opposing party just to regain power. I welcome his early political demise, it could't come soon enough. Good riddance to him and his ilk!

BTW-You're right on Big Cliff, the Liberal Times of LA is not the beacon of truth it says it is. However...
1-"This implies that Murtha knew in the period between '91-'94 that the acting President in 2003 would send over 150,000 troops to invade a country without making sure we had the funds to make sure they are properly equipped, so he better leave some extra funds for that." As a Chairman of the Defense Committee (1991-1994), Murtha's job was looking after our country's defense. This does mean preparing for a possible war in the future not cutting our defense so we would be underfunded and poorly equiped.
2-"It also assumes that a chairmanship held by Murtha 10 years earlier is the reason his brother's lobbying firm made a lot of money off of a defense spending bill pushed through by a Republican White House, Senate, and House." The Defense Committee is a bilateral Committee.
3-"It implies that building a gymnasium, likely to be used by children in public schools or community centers is a "boondoggle", and that the money to build them was taken away from money for body armor, which is not how govenrment works." The Boondoggle comment probably refers to the project being grossly overbudget.
4-"An implication is also made by the quotes in the lower part of the post that Murtha should have known that American troops needed to keep fighting in Somalia in 1993, based on something a bloviating terrorist says in 2006, who proved he was an effective enemy of the USA in 2001. Also implied is that Somalia should have been viewed as a threat to US security in 1993, based on a strategy pronounced by a terrorist in 2006." If we start a conflict we have an obliugation to win it!
JMHO