The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Secret Weapon

I went river fishing Friday for the first time since May, and though armed with bug juice, soon realized I no longer had my secret weapon against biting flies. The annoying non-biters were also buzzing in my eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. What was my ol' secret weapon? Cigarette smoke! I used to have one in my lips and it would keep the bugs at bay, but having quit last fall it's no longer an option. Would I go back to smoking? Never! Might consider a head net though. milt.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secret Weapon

Congratulations on kicking the habit Milt.

Having dropped the habit myself, I would much rather be inhaling bugs as opposed to cigarettes.

Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dave, at least if we swallow them, the bugs are protein. milt.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a head net when out at the cabin. Once used to them they are just like your hat, there's always a persistent one who gets inside the net

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM

The real kicker is when they get between my eye and my glasses or sunglasses, makes it difficult to focus on a dry or indicator. And you inevitably get a bite right at that time, never fails. milt.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Secret Weapon

It's always good to hear when someone Kicks The Habit,as today you don't know what Chemicals,which you inhale are being used in The Tobacco Industry,to control the Bugs.
As for The Bities,even with The Fly Nets as Ard has said you always seem to get one that is persistant,however they work.
Bugs & Glasses are a pain,try wiping Citronella on the Rims,it also helps.
Brian.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
The real kicker is when they get between my eye and my glasses or sunglasses, .
I had a Hornet do that once. It stung me in the eyelid. My eye swelled shut and it felt like someone put their smoke out on my eyelid.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I had a Hornet do that once. It stung me in the eyelid. My eye swelled shut and it felt like someone put their smoke out on my eyelid.
i once had a wasp fly inside my ear canal ang sting me. layed me up for quite a bit.

as far as smoking, i dont smoke, but ive been known to have a swisher sweet hanging out of the side of my mouth on occasion. other than that, permitherin.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 AM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Cigs do not deture skeeters, I've seen a lotta buddies who smoke filled with 4th of July bites.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Being formerly married to an Eastern Native American, they used cedar for bug repellent. Took a small piece and chewed it. Swallowed some juice and spit out the wood. Guess it worked. I never tried it.