The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the realm of scotch

When I drank the Scotch, I enjoyed The Dalmore. Probably not 18 yr. I don't recall the age. I also liked Bushmills.

Then I switched to Bourbons.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

"The Yamazaki Single Malt Whiskey - 12 Year". Right. Scotch from Japan.

Got this from my son. Haven't tried it yet. Has anyone seen/tried this?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i drink more irish whiskey's - bushmills, 16yo is pretty. as is the 10yo. aint tried the 21yo, but have high hopes for it.

The Green Spot, a more rare irish whiskey is awesome, but good luck finding it state side, i believe they only make about 40 cases per year, most for domestic use.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Bushmill's 10 reminds me of Bushmill's 21. For some reason the 16 tastes a lot more harsh to me.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Aberlour 12 year. Sf
thewalker1013 likes this.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Having Scottish Blood in me,even though I haven't drank much of it in The Last few years,I don't mind a Wee Drop of Glenfidich,Chivas Regal,Glenmorangie & the list goes on.
One of my departed Fishing Mates was Irish so naturally I tried John Jamieson,Paddy plus a few more Irish Whiskeys,especially on St Patrick's Day,after sampling a few Guiness's.
I have some Irish Mist & Glaya Scotch Liquers I'm waiting to Sample.
Brian.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Lagavulin 16 Islay
Laphraoig 15 Islay
Taliskers 18 Isle of Skye
Cragganmore Speyside
Bowmore Islay
Dalwhinnie Highland
Glenfiddich 12 Speyside
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban Highland
The Macallan's 25 Speyside

Looks like I'm a Islay kind of guy.

This not in order of preference, and it is more than possible that I have put a couple of these with the wrong regions, and if I have, I want to express my deepest apologies to the single malt scotch gods.

These are just my current favorites. However, if I had to pick just one to drink for the next year, I think I'd have to go with the Mac 25. Or Lagavulin's 16.

Drinking single malt always brings memories or day dreams, sometimes both. Lagavulin seems to take me to a collage of several winter afternoons, that I spent in a cabin I rented by myself near Crested Butte, CO over twenty years ago. The sunlight was fading fast, almost running across the ground asthe snow flurries whipped down the mountain. I had gotten the fire going about twenty minutes before and sat in a chair near the hearth warming back up and looking out the window. The snow ticked like the tiniest grains of sand against the windows, The fire snapped its first snap, and I watched as the trees swayed with every gust of wind. I was warm and dry, a short glass of Lag in my hand, looking out at that cold, snowy, darkness. And I knew I could smell winter out there, and maybe even feel it. Perhaps even taste it in the smoky amber in that glass. Lag warmed my soul on those days when the sun could not.

Gotta love the smoke of the Islay.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 01-21-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i just got a bottle of glenkinchie 12 year that is very good.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread here. Drank single malts for years ... too many to be truthful...

But if you want a fun party do a 'blind' Single Malt tasting party. (Think wine tasting for a comparative.)

Fellows would bring over a bottle of 'xyz' during the week and I'd set up the table with small glass's of each (just a couple of cc's). We'd try the first (lighter to heavier) and 'discuss/write notes.'

Base line idea was (save for me) no one knew what he had in his hand till the very end. End game with new folks to a good Whisky, is their first exposure was rot-gut .... Having started there, they ended there as in 'Hate the damned stuff.'

More than a few had an eye opening experience.

One, the best?, was a Cast strength series. Damned hard to get back in those days ... not your Mama's 80 proof, usually closer to 100 - 115. With this one the Fellows got a small glass of Distilled water and a 'cc marked thing (word for those totally escapes me at the moment) and add about 25 percent water. Later I found (out of Canada) I could get (I kid you not) bottled Glacier snow melted water. Amazing how good that was.

My Uncle Mac turned me on to that, and I'd have him ship me down a case of the bottles. Often wondered what the Custom's Folks thought as they looked at the Declaration Form ... 'Water????'

fae
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

This is a pic of some of my favorite shades of brown. The Glenfiddich 15 is a nice one but a little pricey.

Click the image to open in full size.

cheers
phil