The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: the realm of scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Certainly my favorite Islay malt. But, there are others: Laphroig, Caol Ila, Ardberg, Bowmore, etc. The "Cul" is seeing more and more time in my snifter lately............

Pocono
Anyone of those with the exception of Laphroig, it's like drinking diesel fuel
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Eddie where does Aberlour, Dalmour and Grangestone rate over there? I am no expert, but I have tasted and like all of these.
Thanks

Last edited by darwin; 01-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 AM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road
Default the realm of scotch

Anyone try the Glenrothers 1985?

That was pretty good.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Anyone of those with the exception of Laphroig, it's like drinking diesel fuel
Well, Laphroig is not my favorite Islay malt, but I have been known to enjoy a glass or two while cruising around in my 18-wheeler..................

Pocono
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Eddie where does Aberlour, Dalmour and Grangestone rate over there? I am no expert, but I have tasted and like all of these.
Thanks
Aberlour is very nice, I've never heard of the others
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Aberlour is very nice, I've never heard of the others
I am still learning about the single malts and I am liking some of them. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Have yet to sip any Whisky laid up in old Oporto barrels that wasn't 'Good Stuff.' Odd part is majority of those old Oporto barrels were originally American Oak used for Tennessee Whiskey. "What Goes Around, Comes Around?"
What port wine is aged in a whiskey barrel, Fred? Pretty sure port, much like bourbon or sherry, requires an unused barrel. Then the barrel can move on to scotch, irish whisky, rum, etc..
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
What port wine is aged in a whiskey barrel, Fred? Pretty sure port, much like bourbon or sherry, requires an unused barrel. Then the barrel can move on to scotch, irish whisky, rum, etc..
Port is fortified sherry
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
This is over simplified, but anything (there are some true exceptions) booze starts with a clear liquid (even red wine). It's what you do with that from that point (red wine fermented on skins) that give same its colour.

Flavor of what was in the old barrel has a huge impact on what goes in next. New barrel, made of what and where (French Oak and American Oak are very, very different Animals), and previously used for 'what?'

Have a (long out of use) Uni degree in Vineyard Management and one whole course of study was focused on the choice of 'wood' to get what result. No idea what the cost of a barrel may be at this point, but 'back then' you could easily spend $500 to $700 each.

But the choice could totally change the 'flavor palet' (sp?) of the end result. While 'in school' worked part time at a winery doing (only thing we did) was our distributor tours. 'You've seen one huge steel tank, do you really need to see another?'

We'd pull resting wine from the same Vineyard, but in different age, different origination, etc., barrels and give them a taste (more to that as in here's how we blend wine). Women were the best of 'Wooha, that's different. Just the choice of wood?' We'd mix a bit of this, a bit of that and 'build' a commercial wine.

Answer was yes and 'here's why 'we' vary ...' Winery Folks were not 'happy' when I got my Degree and moved to Southern Oregon. (A huge jump in case sales.) But that was The Plan and build my own Vineyards. Which I did; Dear God did that cost a lot of money and hard work.

But that's another bit of personal history.
fae
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
Port is fortified sherry
No. Port is a fortified wine from Portugal and Sherry is a fortified wine from Spain and they are very different.
fredaevans likes this.