The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Mike,

Do you have any thoughts on the 10 - 20 mm lens I just ordered? It should be here next week and I'll shoot and post as soon as I get it. Details on the lens are 2 post back............
thats the lense I use for wide angle. so far its great. but it doesnt fit in my water housing.. the 77mm end is a bit wide. do watch out using pop up flash, youll get a shadow at 10mm, 20mm is ok. have fun and watch out for perspective distortion
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to hear Mike,

I was hung up between the 8 - 16 mm & this 10 - 20 and two things came into play. The extra dough for the 8 -16 was the real spoiler and I didn't think I would miss the difference between 8 & 10 on the wide end of the picture. Reviews were very good on this lens and some were from the pro group so I did it. I am distressed because since paying I found one 27 dollars less, how do you spell cheeeeap

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I got mine from adorama for about 500, seems pretty common. I got a polar filter and uv filter for it. no nf yet but need one. Its a blast doing close ups of certain things.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be ordering a polarizer and a ND for it tonight. You know I'll be searching out something cool to use it on right away. When the first real snows come that usually provides for some good stuff.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM

with the landscape you have,, this lense will rock. If I ever make it up that far north I would want to do long exposure of the northern lights over a snowy scene.. from indoors.. cant wait to see what you get.

heres a landscape i did with mine

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

any one else make panoramics. this was from this spring during all the storms. nice frontal shelf on the way, the shot is a blend of 4 shots with the sigma 10mm. Iv been told it reminds folks of the movie indepence day.

Click the image to open in full size.

mike
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I am shopping for a C-PL filter, what do you use? I have Sigma and B+W for my other lens' but when you move to 77 mm they get more pricey the small ones are expensive but these big glass are way up there. The B+W Schneider Slim sounds like the ticket but I wonder if I am missing the boat by not considering Hoya. Suggestions are welcome on this.

Ard

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

i have the hoya for polerizer works great. sometimes a bit dark. the uv i use is a tiffen, I rarly use it unless im shooting up close mtb action just to keep the dirt off the lense. still need a ND for the swigwa

any shots with the lense yet?
mike
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I haven't got it yet, it is in the mail and maybe by Friday. I have not yet ordered the filters yet but I may go with the B+W I have one on my Sigma 50 mm f2.8 macro for use on most shots and I love the thing. I use Quantaray on the Nikon lens and Tristar on the Tamron. When I looked I found that the UV for the Sigma Macro is a sigma filter so I don't have a Sigma polarizer after all.

After I sort all this out I'll let you know what I get, it may come down to the Hoya.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I haven't got it yet, it is in the mail and maybe by Friday. I have not yet ordered the filters yet but I may go with the B+W I have one on my Sigma 50 mm f2.8 macro for use on most shots and I love the thing. I use Quantaray on the Nikon lens and Tristar on the Tamron. When I looked I found that the UV for the Sigma Macro is a sigma filter so I don't have a Sigma polarizer after all.

After I sort all this out I'll let you know what I get, it may come down to the Hoya.
I have a b&w polarizer for my standard 58mm lenses works fine. I use the ND for the 58mm more then any, so I am looking forward to the ND for the sigma, but I am shooting a 6 + year old xti body, I think I am going to save up for a better cam body next spring. then maybe ill invest in a hard dive housing to shoot photos of fish with, sounds like fun. I hope to test a underwater video rig this week. if your looking for more stuff on this sigma i can PM you a link
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Thanks Mike,

I'll be posting once it's all here and I got the link