The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

I've been away fishing since Tuesday but we got home about midnight Thursday. Today (Friday) I picked up the new 10 - 20 mm Sigma at the post office! Wow, just like my 50 mm macro from Sigma the quality is obvious when you hold and look at the lens. I still haven't gotten the polarizer and will order a Schneider B+W filter tonight. I can't wait to shoot this lens but will probably wait for the Pl filter before I start.

Nice lens,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I finally bought a decent digital SLR camera this summer. I plan on going to Yellowstone a few times this winter on short photo trips, what precautions should I need to be aware of?

I've read about putting the camera into a ziplock back before bringing it inside.. anything else?

Not worried about the battery drain, more worried about protecting the camera itself.

Thanks! Dave
Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

get some photos with it already.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I finally bought a decent digital SLR camera this summer. I plan on going to Yellowstone a few times this winter on short photo trips, what precautions should I need to be aware of?

I've read about putting the camera into a ziplock back before bringing it inside.. anything else?

Not worried about the battery drain, more worried about protecting the camera itself.

Thanks! Dave
I also got in the habit of putting a bag of silica gel desacant in the bag, I keep one in my water proof bag I use for the change in temps
mike
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I have the Canon T2i with the 18 to 55mm lens and the 50mm. I have to taken pictures of the flies I had tied, but none of my images look anything like most of the pictures of flies on this forum.

What are the camera settings that give you the best image? What lens, aperture, shutter speed were used? Were macro tubes used and so on.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Dave can you post some of your results. Theres alot of ways to do things, it really depends on what 'look' your going for.
mike
Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dave,

This picture was taken with a Sigma 50 mm macro lens. I shoot under a 40 watt spot bulb with the white balance set for incandescent light. The f stop is 22 and the shutter speed is 15

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Ard

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post

Thanks! Dave
Get some practice shooting the snow as it creeps down the mountains Dave. I find that defining the sky / snow peak shots is hard to do. All the snow messes with the white balance in the camera. If you have bright days be sure to have a good polarizer for each lens also. Oh yeah, tripod, don't forget to have a pod and you should get either a remote shutter or a cable, I use both and both are handy.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 PM

that is an awsome looking fly Ard, just had to say.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike, there are a bunch of them in the Alaska forum threads. Take a look at Flies For AK. Salmon & Steelhead, it's loaded.

I ordered a B+W / Schneider Pl filter for the lens. I like the way they are made and I believe they are worth the extra quid so............ did it.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Hello Ard,
I tried to up load some image to my Album. It was not succesful as I got a message that said something about missing security tokens.
Anyway, from your description, I see a few things I can work on. Your f22 makes a huge differance with the focal depth. I think I stayed in the f9 to f11range because of lighting and to lazy to get my tripod for longer shutter speed. .

I definitely need help with uploading images including reducing the size.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Dave,

see if this helps;

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html