The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

You may find that f16 will be tight enough depending on your lighting. I just found my way to 22 and use it as a standard setting for flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Hey Ard, adobe lightroom for organization/editing is my absolute favorite and have been using it since it's first incarnation.
You can download a trial and use it for 30 days from the website to see if you like it.
Use Photoshop Lightroom 3 software to edit, manage & share photos

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

It looks that there were some shaking of the camera that have made the blur in the fly picture.

Here is a picture with aperture f/9. Picture is resized to 1600x1200 pixels from 6000x4000 pixels.
Click on the picture for looking at size 1600x1200
Click the image to open in full size.

One tip for getting large depth of field with a fly picture is not to get to close to the fly and after if you have lot of pixels to work with - crop out the fly.
______
Trygve
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Carl & Trygve that's a great picture!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

HI Ard. Some software you should look at and all you can try free for a period.
Nikon software: Nikon Capture NX2 Nikon | Imaging Products | CaptureNX2
Phase One : Capture One Pro 6 RAW converter and photo editing software | Capture One 6

DxO Optics Pro ( correct the lenses and do a very well raw convert) DxO Optics Pro - Introduction

_______
Trygve
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Thank you Trygve,

I'm happy that you check into this thread because you are very good at all of this photography stuff. I am now waiting for a B+W filter for the new lens, I have a Sigma 10 - 20 mm and am waiting for polarizer before I start shooting landscape with it. The lighting here almost requires a polarizer if you want good definition.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The lighting here almost requires a polarizer if you want good definition.
The B+W filter are very nice and expensive
Do you use lens hood for your lenses ?

_______
Trygve
Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks Trygve,

Yes I do but here the angle of sun is often so low that I often must be inventive at creating shade for the lens. The hoods help during the period May - August but for the rest of the year it is like sunrise / sunset all the time.

About the B+W filters, I got one for my 50 mm Sigma macro and as soon as I held it in my hand I knew they were the right stuff. The one for this new lens will be the slim frame and I'm sure it will be a good filter. As soon as I receive it I'll start shooting.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 AM

one very very nice learning dvd for landscape photos with filter that I recommend is Master Photo Workshops : Photography How-To Videos: Photography DVD Catalog

Lots of nice tutorial dvd´s on the site

_______
trygve
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Tob1, I think that the lens might have been about 5 inches away from the fly in the Buzzer photo. It is possible that there was camera shack too. I don't have a bulb for the shutter. I could try to use the timer instead.

The video you posted about the lens hood... I found that the lens hood that came with my 18 to 55 mm will have black corners in the picture at the 18 mm setting. If I have the UV filter on it's okay. But when I add another filter to the lens, oevr the UV, then I get the vignetting as discribed in the video.

Dave