The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

I have used elements, CS2, and irfanview (freeware).

Irfanview can be downloaded and works for basic cropping, sharpening, size reduction, some effects, and can convert to sepia or B&W etc. If you don't have another program like elements or PS, then try this one out. It is more of a quick processing software than a full blown photo processing software, but, if your pics are pretty good right out of the camera, then it can make quick exposure, sharpening, color correction type changes. Worked great for me for first pass viewing of a ton of files (after a shoot to weed out the junk pics), and you can batch process files as well in the program.

d
Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good tip Dave,

I have and currently use the Nikon Picture Project software that was supplied with my camera. It is good for 'as you say' pictures that are good right out of the camera. My problem is that some of my best photos sometimes end up with something that needs removed.

However, I am playing with an editing program that came along with a Slide / Negative scanner converter. It has the healing brush and many other tools that may make the purchase of Elements unnecessary. Once I figure out how to import from all my collections this may be all I need.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One very powerfull photoeditor (almost like the professional Photoshop) is Gimp a freeware software for Windows /mac OSX / Linux. It can be downloaded at GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program.
Lots off tutorials for Gimp at this blog Meet the GIMP! | Video tutorials for GIMP and other free graphics programs

Trygve

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

One last with the Topz filter.

FEED ME
Click the image to open in full size.

______
Trygve

Last edited by tob1; 11-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

^ I have got to get topaz,, that just looks so cool.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Excellent Travel Tripod- FEISOL 3441T Carbon Fiber Tripod

I am active on the Canon forums & had posted this review there last year. I figured I would repost it since there appear to be quite a few photo enthusiasts here. Prior to getting the Feisol carbon fiber model, I extensively used the Bogen Manfrotto 3021 which is a 'beast' of a tripod. Very heavy and stable but not conducive to travel. I spent a considerable amount of time researching various travel tripods. In the running were various model from the Benro travel angel family, Velbons and some of the Gitzo knockoffs (like Triopo) etc. I did not opt for the Gitzo's because for my uses, I could not justify the high prices. I decided to go with the Feisol 3441T (tall version) based on the reviews online. Initially my plan was to keep my Bogen 3021 as my 'at home' tripod and use the Feisol as the travel one. However, after receiving the Feisol and trying it out, I decided to sell the Bogen and use the Feisol everywhere.

Construction - There are several reviews about the quality of the Feisol tripods and I whole heartedly agree with them. The tripod is very well built and appears to be made of high quality components (CF type, spider material etc.) The tripod came with a carrying bag which is sufficient for its purpose. Some have complained about the poor shoulder strap arrangement but for me it is not an issue. The tripod included 2 Allen wrenches and the hook to attach a bag/ weight at the other end of the center column.

Dimensions - You will find all the detailed specifications on the 'reallybigcameras.com' website so there is no need for me to list them. In comparison to the Bogen 3021, the 3441T seems extremely compact in its dimensions (see pic below, Bogen on the left and the Feisol on the right). However, when opened it is actually a few inches taller than the 3021. This was a pleasant surprise! For my height (6'1") the 3441T is perfect even w/o extending the center column. I have to bend a little bit, but its not that big of a deal. Not having to extend the center column is great since sometimes that can lead to vibrations. In the picture below the Bogen is the one on the left and the Feisol on the right.
Folded the entire tripod is quite compact and should pose no problems during travel, especially via air.

Use - I opted for the non - ARL version as it wasn't worth the extra ~$88 for me. I am not a professional photographer and will not be using the tripod all the time. Others might disagree. I used that money towards a quality ball head - Markins Q3T. The Markins ballhead is a perfect fit for the Feisol legs, the legs close perfectly around the Markins. The leg joints are a bit stiff but those can be adjusted easily. The 'twist' locks function well & I have not had any issues so far with the legs rotating.

Final Comments - The vendor for Feisols is excellent and is very educated in the technical aspects of these tripods. Since purchasing the tripod, I have used in during several long distance trips - West Coast, Smokies, Germany and The Czech Republic. Never had a single issue carrying it on board the aircraft and the tripod has functioned perfectly w/o any issues.
I hope this review comes handy for someone interested in buying a new tripod.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
^ I have got to get topaz,, that just looks so cool.
I recently purchased topaz adjust just because it was way to cool when playing around with it to not own it. Its totally worth the money and if you sign up for the emails before you buy it, you can sometimes get discount codes.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I recently purchased topaz adjust just because it was way to cool when playing around with it to not own it. Its totally worth the money and if you sign up for the emails before you buy it, you can sometimes get discount codes.
cool, I need a new program to plug it into.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Pixel Bender is another pretty cool one thats free.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Here is one way to check if there are som discount codes for products on the web.

Topaz Labs Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for topazlabs.com

Trygve
Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM

nothing seems to work with my old as dirt photoshop. Any one know of a stand alone free hdr editor?