The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

ahh the raw vs jpeg talk.. only time i shoot raw is when I shoot in raw+jpeg mode. and its usually only on shots with iffy conditions, so if the jpeg sucks I can edit the raw more. other wise its a total waste of my time since i reguraly shoot alot of photos when i go some where.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

found this lil fella on the creek today, baby banded water snake, or northern water snake, not sure what they look like at this age. was able to ID safe to handle by the round eyes, at first look it looks alot like a copperhead but its not. totally harmless
Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Very cool image!!

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hope you find this, I moved it to here............

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Great shots, Ard. What are shooting with...looks like nice compact little camera and lens?
Hey John,

Actually it's a D-80 Nikon with a power pack on it. I was using a small 28 - 55 mm lens to do those pictures and the picture of me was done with a Canon Power Shot 1200 pocket camera. I snatched up the canon so I would not have to carry the SLR everywhere I go, especially fishing. It seems to take good pictures and I bought it used for 50 dollars so I'm happy with it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Got it. The lens looked like a extending pancake lens for the new micro 4/3 cameras. I picked an Olympus Pen a month or so ago, used for $220 shipped. I've just started playing with it...so I was curious if maybe you where using something like that now. It's really nice little mirror-less SLR.

I've a family trip coming up to a remote valley I've yet to visit that has been on my list for a few years. I hope to put the camera to good use (and my 2wt on the grayling stream).
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the original lens that I got with the camera I sold all but that 18 - 55. They are cheap but versatile and very light too. Even though I've dumped around 1300 into some really nice lens's I find that I still use the kit lens quite often.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Ard

Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

A couple months back I bought a used canon PowerShot SD1200 for 50 dollars. I had to spring another 7 bucks for a new software disc to give me full access to the cameras workings but boy am I impressed. I've never had an actual mini point & shoot camera and this one is filling in the blanks that occur when carrying a DSLR with a power pack attached is not very practical.

Here are a couple over the shoulder pictures taken at the cabin on Tuesday. We had to make the tow rope from 3 different scraps of nylon and the tow handle is a piece of fire wood I notched with the chainsaw so the rope wouldn't slide off the ends but.......

Bush water skiing on Hewitt Lake AK.

No editing on the photos, just out of the camera.............. Nancy did all the skiing and she had a ball at it.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Love it! Especially the cobbled rope and handle. milt.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Administrator

What are 'HDR' edits? Is this something a caveman could figure out? I admit to being confused by my Photoshop Elements 10 program and so if HDR is even more intense I'm at a loss here.

Ard

Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
What are 'HDR' edits? Is this something a caveman could figure out? I admit to being confused by my Photoshop Elements 10 program and so if HDR is even more intense I'm at a loss here.

Ard

Hi Ard,

HDR works best with a bracket of shots (-1EV, 0EV, +1EV, is a rudimentary 3 shot bracket of under, metered and over) . How big that bracket is depends on the intensity of the light source and how dark the dark areas are in the shot. HDR uses the bracket of shots and spits out a usable image balancing the exposure from all shots in the bracket. Some of the brackets I use are 9 shots with 1EV steps through the bracket, especially if there's a setting sun in them.

As for HDR edits of origional shots...hmmm, I'm not a big fan of them. Basically you get the origional RAW, then save a copy with the exposure nudged up (another reason shooting in RAW should be first choice), save another with the exposure nudged down, then use some HDR software such as Photomatix to create a HDR image with all three shots.

HDR can leave some terrible tell-tale signs, big halos around areas of differing contrast, flat images with lacking in contrast. To get a really good HDR shot, you need to do a great deal to it after producing the HDR. A well processed HDR can be very striking, and if you do decide to try it you don't have to faff about with filters as much. But it's very easy to create bad HDR.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Ard
HDR is High Dynamic Range imaging, a technique that allows the coexistence of great detail in the varying areas, light and dark, of an image and in increase in contrast between the two. I believe the most common way to accomplish this is to merge three (of more?) images of a scene, shot at varying exposers, with software, to create the effects you see in the final image. Each exposure brings with it strengths and the combination makes the pictures pop, as you can clearly see.

That's the depth of my understanding. I look forward to playing with it.

Sep
Hardyreels likes this.