The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

Nice, I am leaning toward all wide angle and landscape / portrait type lens and photography. The big tele's and trying to capture wildlife is a tough game.

Although I'm glad I have these, so I don't know whether to sell the Tamron or not......

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
That's a beautiful picture Mike. Have you ever experimented with the photo-combination feature on Adobe? I've seen it, but haven't messed with it yet. And somewhat related, I hope I can fish with you sometime soon! I should be in Louisville some time in the next month, we'll see if the fiancee allows me any free time!
AJ,

As soon as you start talking Photo Shop you have left me sphere of understanding. I would like to take a class and own the software someday. All I have is the Nikon Picture Project software that came with my camera.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Well, I don't know the hardware end so well, but I can help from time to time with the software end. Maybe we can meet somewhere in between, haha. Adobe Photoshop Elements is rather like photoshop lite, so its a decent way to get in on the ground floor. And an amazing photo of the eagle, by the way!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I should e-mail you the image so you could clean it up

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Check your pm inbox!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One tip from me . If your camera have the option to shot raw-images, use raw format for landscape pictures. Much more info in the file format and more possibilities for adjustments later.

_______
Trygve
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Another fine ultra wide angle lens for Nikon is the Tokina 11-16 2.8. Great fast lens for the money. When using a wide angle lens, remember that space is expanded. When you are looking at a scene, with say mountains in the distance, the mountains will appear farther away than what your eye sees. Use something in the foreground and focus on it to draw your eye into the the main portion of the image and add depth to the scene.
Click the image to open in full size.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One big tele (300mm) on a DSLR around a small lake.

same trip - one that wanted a free ride

________
Trygve
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

^awsome. My next glass will be a 300mm for shots like this.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Ard,
Regarding the Moon Over Homestake Peak B/W shot on the other thread.
This was shot with a 300mm Sigma and a Sigma 2X tele converter. The aperture was was wide open at probably f8 (don't know for sure because of the addition of the 2X). Shutter speed was 1/15 second. Adding the 2X contributed to the somewhat fuzziness in the moon. You really need high end lenses (Canon/Nikon etc.) when using a tele converter to get a truly tack sharp shot. The lens was mounted on a tripod and exposed using Mirror Lock up and a remote trigger.
Best time to shoot the setting moon is the day after the true full moon and the day before for the rising moon. This will give you some extra ambient light on the surrounding objects in your shot as it will be closer to the sun rise/set. Of course if you are just shooting the moon itself, the true full moon is best. I expose for the moon itself metering with spot meter setting right on the moon. Bracketing also helps if you are still shooting film, which this shot was done on.
Here's a handy little free download that can help you plan your moon rise/set photography.
The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks Bob,

i will visit the link and I'm sure it will be helpful. I have had less than stellar results with moon shots but then I have not taken time to plan them and that is why I ask how you did that. The picture I'm pasting was taken resting the camera on the console of the boat and the brightness of the moon sort of overpowered the whole thing...........