The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   The Photography Chat Thread; (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/182734-photography-chat-thread.html)

Hardyreels 09-13-2011 12:42 AM

The Photography Chat Thread;

This thread will be for discussion of photography. You can ask questions, show photos, and we can all learn from one another about how to make picture taking better and easier. There are many things I don't know about how to get better results, like which filters I should invest in and how to get better white balance out of my Nikon D80.

I am also going to be getting a new lens soon and would be glad to discuss that with others to get your thoughts.

Let's see if this thread will catch on :shades:

caseywise 09-13-2011 02:37 AM

Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

hey ard,
great topic, you're gonna get a lot of responses for sure.
lots of photography types here:D
i myself use a canon digital rebel xt mounted with a simple 35-85mm stock lens. i also have a polarize filter as well as a couple different color filters, ie yellow and orange.
as far as white balance for my camera- i have a setting in my camera that allows me to adjust as i feel needed.
so i often bracket 3 settings up and 3 settings down and then go from there.
works fine for me.
good thread for sure!;);)

casey

gatortransplant 09-13-2011 10:21 AM

I found a general tutorial on how to make photos of fish look better with a few simple adjustments (besides stretching the proportions :D)... however, I seem to have misplaced. I will track it down. However, it's basically adjustments of contrast, saturation, and sharpness, all of which will help the fish "pop"

Hardyreels 09-13-2011 12:07 PM

Glad to see some post to this subject; I need to start bracketing my photo shots, I do but I do it manually and I know the camera will do it for me.............

cromney 09-13-2011 12:44 PM

I'm new to the game of photography, I picked up an SLR about 1.5 years ago. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.
I've read the first three sticky threads on the UK forum about fishing photography, it really helped me out and I think its worth reading for others. Check it out here:
A Fisherman's Guide to Fishing Photography - Fly Fishing Forums

gatortransplant 09-13-2011 02:00 PM

My camera is pretty old and the quality is questionable. The majority of work done on my photos is on the software end, usually just for fun but sometimes to solve issues of image clarity and such.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...pSteelhead.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...k/Colorsap.jpg
Plus some creative editing brings out the important part of the photos, not the ugly mug in the background :D

nickj 09-13-2011 02:07 PM

I have a D80 as well, don't take it fishing with me though. What lens are you interested in?

Hardyreels 09-13-2011 02:21 PM

For all you Nikon D SLR users out there; I am going to sell a Tamron 28-300.
The specs are: Aspherical LD XR Di, AF zoom 1:3.5 - 6.3 (IF) Macro with 67mm filter size.
This lens has the VC feature (vibration control) for hand held shooting.
They sell for 400 and up new on eBay so I would sell here for 300. The lens works fine, I would like to sell it to finance another landscape lens and a couple filters.

PM if you want a big zoom

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickj (Post 316369)
I have a D80 as well, don't take it fishing with me though. What lens are you interested in?

Hi Nick,

I am going to get a Sigma 17 - 70 or 18 - 80 f2.8 for landscape photography.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cromney (Post 316319)
I'm new to the game of photography, I picked up an SLR about 1.5 years ago. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.
I've read the first three sticky threads on the UK forum about fishing photography, it really helped me out and I think its worth reading for others. Check it out here:
A Fisherman's Guide to Fishing Photography - Fly Fishing Forums

Good link that one Clint, repped you on that :)

nickj 09-13-2011 02:57 PM

For my short lens I use a Nikon 18-135. It's good lens for everything but those reach-out-and -touch-someone shots.

Hardyreels 09-13-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickj (Post 316380)
For my short lens I use a Nikon 18-135. It's good lens for everything but those reach-out-and -touch-someone shots.

I got a Sigma 50 mm 2 years ago for 1:1 macro shots and discovered that I like the way they are built. I want the fast 17 - 70 for landscape and low light shooting because even though I have a good T pod I seldom haul it with. Because of that, I have become more interested in 2.8 lens'.