The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Photography Chat Thread;

This thread will be for discussion of photography. You can ask questions, show photos, and we can all learn from one another about how to make picture taking better and easier. There are many things I don't know about how to get better results, like which filters I should invest in and how to get better white balance out of my Nikon D80.

I am also going to be getting a new lens soon and would be glad to discuss that with others to get your thoughts.

Let's see if this thread will catch on

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: The Photography Chat Thread;

hey ard,
great topic, you're gonna get a lot of responses for sure.
lots of photography types here
i myself use a canon digital rebel xt mounted with a simple 35-85mm stock lens. i also have a polarize filter as well as a couple different color filters, ie yellow and orange.
as far as white balance for my camera- i have a setting in my camera that allows me to adjust as i feel needed.
so i often bracket 3 settings up and 3 settings down and then go from there.
works fine for me.
good thread for sure!

casey

ARFE
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I found a general tutorial on how to make photos of fish look better with a few simple adjustments (besides stretching the proportions )... however, I seem to have misplaced. I will track it down. However, it's basically adjustments of contrast, saturation, and sharpness, all of which will help the fish "pop"

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see some post to this subject; I need to start bracketing my photo shots, I do but I do it manually and I know the camera will do it for me.............

Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I'm new to the game of photography, I picked up an SLR about 1.5 years ago. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.
I've read the first three sticky threads on the UK forum about fishing photography, it really helped me out and I think its worth reading for others. Check it out here:
A Fisherman's Guide to Fishing Photography - Fly Fishing Forums
Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

My camera is pretty old and the quality is questionable. The majority of work done on my photos is on the software end, usually just for fun but sometimes to solve issues of image clarity and such.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Plus some creative editing brings out the important part of the photos, not the ugly mug in the background

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I have a D80 as well, don't take it fishing with me though. What lens are you interested in?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Administrator

For all you Nikon D SLR users out there; I am going to sell a Tamron 28-300.
The specs are: Aspherical LD XR Di, AF zoom 1:3.5 - 6.3 (IF) Macro with 67mm filter size.
This lens has the VC feature (vibration control) for hand held shooting.
They sell for 400 and up new on eBay so I would sell here for 300. The lens works fine, I would like to sell it to finance another landscape lens and a couple filters.

PM if you want a big zoom

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I have a D80 as well, don't take it fishing with me though. What lens are you interested in?
Hi Nick,

I am going to get a Sigma 17 - 70 or 18 - 80 f2.8 for landscape photography.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromney View Post
I'm new to the game of photography, I picked up an SLR about 1.5 years ago. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.
I've read the first three sticky threads on the UK forum about fishing photography, it really helped me out and I think its worth reading for others. Check it out here:
A Fisherman's Guide to Fishing Photography - Fly Fishing Forums
Good link that one Clint, repped you on that

Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

For my short lens I use a Nikon 18-135. It's good lens for everything but those reach-out-and -touch-someone shots.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
For my short lens I use a Nikon 18-135. It's good lens for everything but those reach-out-and -touch-someone shots.
I got a Sigma 50 mm 2 years ago for 1:1 macro shots and discovered that I like the way they are built. I want the fast 17 - 70 for landscape and low light shooting because even though I have a good T pod I seldom haul it with. Because of that, I have become more interested in 2.8 lens'.