The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default What thingamajig with this whachamadiddle?

Am I the only one that thinks we've had all the "what _____ can I fish with this ________?" threads we'll ever need?

Sometimes it seems like we're going to have discussed every possible combination of fly rod and fly reel before too long.

/vent

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What thingamajig with this whachamadiddle?

I can certainly see the frustration with that but I have to say, that's how novices like me learn. I'm sure if I wanted to take the time to go through all the past posts there would be duplicates, and a wealth of info, but sometimes, I just can't. Browsing through what's new everyday is all I frequently have time for.

I've also found that there's always a new question/combo to discuss. It's good to know I'm not the only one questioning things. I feel in good company when I read them.

In short, for those who've been here from the start or long periods (5yrs +), I imagine it would get tedious. Maybe that's the call to start an "Advanced" topic/forum that would be more exclusive to those with more experience.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

as a long time forum user, I have found that in all the forums im on people dont use the search button, but instead as a question themselves, I will admit Im guilty us this, but ususally after I have searched and not found what i needed.
USED the Search tool.
Mike
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Cliff,

The thing is, within two days of the question being asked, the poster will have 14 additional options and at least a dozen and a half contradictory recommendations.

I can just picture the glazed look in their eyes as they politely type " thank you all for the help".
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Am I the only one that thinks we've had all the "what _____ can I fish with this ________?" threads we'll ever need?

Sometimes it seems like we're going to have discussed every possible combination of fly rod and fly reel before too long.

/vent

Hang out at any enthusiasts forum long enough and you will see the same questions asked and answered many times. Often several times in the same week or month.

That's just the way it is.

Put up a "Frequently Asked Questions" thread and stick it to the top of the forum and it will siphon of a few of those questions, but there is nothing you can do to stop them.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There would be far too many 'frequently asked questions' for that! One tough thing I've run into when trying to find previously asked questions is that words with three letters or less can't be included - so 3wt or 8wt or fly, etc etc can't be included. So trying to figure out if I can throw a 5/0 pike fly with my 7'6" 3wt rod would be tough to find, even if it was asked 6 months ago.

I know, when I've taught kids, that the same questions come up again and again, part of being the 'teacher' is having patience to keep answering them.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

There are many of us newbies who often ask questions that many here may have answered already. Yes it's possible to use the search and find the answer to just about any question imaginable connected to fly fishing.

As I searched back thru the years I can see the same post year after year discussing what hatch is now coming off on a particular river. Why is this being repeated? I mean it is the same bugs on the same river every year. Why do we post a story about a river we fished on when the same river already has about 200 threads? How many times must we read about the same rivers, streams and lakes? What about the elk hair caddis how many times must we mention using that fly?

A newbie (and I are one) make posts to share and be accepted by our peers. When I joined this forum it was to share my enthusiasm for a sport that was new to me with hopes that some of the masters would help me along.

Some day there is gonna be a great grandson of one of these masters enter this site and ask about this pile of rods and reels he just got out of the garage from his great granpas abandoned house and I hope one of these current newbies has learned enough to help him match the rods and reels together.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Cliff, I think I know where you are coming from. Or at least I will project onto your question my own feelings.

Like stated above it is the nature of online forums. And like this one, full of experienced to novice anglers, we see all kinds of questions. Teachers used to tell me that there is never a dumb question, of course that was long before the internet! So let me project: for those of us that taught ourselves or learned how to fly fish from older friends/relatives the point was you had to go do a whole lot of it on your own before you even knew what to ask. Because when you finally met someone that did fish this way, you cherished the opportunity and asked the important questions. Now it is so easy, that one can say: I think I want to get into fly fishing, go to google and ask a billion people all at once "I want to get into fly fishing, what kind of rod and reel should I buy?". Sorry Ms. Fitzgerald, that is a dumb question.

Now my rant/vent here is not towards newbies, not at all. I always say to people that ask me for advice: we all started one day and didn't know ____. The best fisherman you know was a complete hack with a rod at one time. Everyone starts somewhere, there is no reason to feel embarrassed about not knowing. That was attitude when I started and I think it is the attitude of the questions here. I like that.

My rant is toward how much the internet has taken away from just going out and learning something on ones own. Of course there are people on this forum who can teach anyone a lot of new things, I've learned a tremendous amount here, I wouldn't keep coming back if I hadn't. But one thing this "place" cannot teach you is how to really fish.

Really fishing is about observing. And being willing to listen and learn from experience. It's being beaten and frustrated but antsy about getting back to try again. It's about practice and profound moments. It's not about some anonymous person's favorite combination of line and reel and rod. That is what you need to figure out. Figure out by fishing.

Now I will get off my soapbox too, Dave. I hope that the newbies keep asking questions. Because I like reading the answers. And sorry about the rant. I'm feeling my oats tonight and am in my cups a little bit.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

cliff,
this a forum that welcomes all members and all queries.
so a question about a rod/reel or a fly/fish should be the norm of the day.
i have no problem answering questions submitted by new members, repeats or not. it's not that hard to give a bit of info that you may have, it should be gratifying

casey

ARFE
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

It just seems like the rod/reel category of "what should I ____?" question is by far the most common, when its really not that important.

I just wish we were seeing more questions like: "I'm fishing streamers and not catching anything. What gives?"

Fishing the ideal combo WILL NOT MAKE YOU CATCH FISH. Putting a good enough fly where the fish are will.

Here's another great one "How do I get more time to fish?"

I'm still working on that one...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.