The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default 44-inch, 60-pound female shortraker believed to be 100 years old

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17979900/ How does a fish that looks like that live to be that old?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 44-inch, 60-pound female shortraker believed to be 100 years old

Hi Cliff,

The link didn't work for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

hmmmm, lets try this one then ABC News: Fishermen Catch Big, Old Alaska Rockfish

ABC News: Fishermen Catch Big, Old Alaska Rockfish

Old 04-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Cliff,

That is an interesting catch. Its too bad they had to kill it. I would think that a commercial fisherman would realize the potential for reproducing.

Here is my interesting catch caught in Alaska. Sorry about the quality of the picture. This is a Wolf fish. Trophy size for Alaska.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I did a google image search for some more picutures of those things, and good lord they're ugly. I might drop the rod and run if i pulled one of those things out of the water. It looks like a critter in a movie I loved as a kid, called "Flight of the Navigator". The critter was from another planet.

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Flight of the Navigator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hi Cliff,

Here is another picture. I caught this Halibut fishing and when it broke water just the head was sticking out. We all thought we had the monster from the black lagoon. We shot it twice in the head with a 22 before gaffing it and bringing it aboard. On board, it grabbed the gaff and would not let go. Had to club it several times with a billy to subdue it. Things were pretty exciting until we got it under control.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Frank, you had already convinced us you caught one of the ugliest creaters alive. There was no need to provide more evidence.

All kidding aside, that ugly beast you caught is a huge one too. Are they commonly eaten? Or is this frowned upon because they are 400 years old? (or do they just look like it?)

Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Cliff,

We tried to eat a piece of the tail but it was awful. It was very oily and just plain gross. I read that Oriental people eat some. I have never felt the need to mount a fish but I wish this one had been mounted. My wife would have had a problem being in the house with this thing.