The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road
Default Pipe Smokers

We all know that everyone that fly-fished in the 40's and 50's smoked a pipe. We've all seen the pictures (see below)! I have been known, on occasion, to light one up myself. It's kind of hard to pull off without seeming too pretentious, so mostly it's on a warm night at the table in the back yard.

Anyone else? Any favorite blends?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipe Smokers

Well if I'm going to smoke on the river, it'll probably be a cigar. Easier to do while casting and not as big a deal if it falls into the water. My favorite blend was from Mason Edwards in Ann Arbor... what was that one called, #36 comes to mind, but I don't remember? Haven't had it in awhile.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I love my CASSANO MARE, but it is far more convenient for me to smoke a Cigar while fly fishing. It is a learned art to smoke anything while your out there fly fishing. I went with a first-timer this spring for the Gray Drake hatch on the Ausable this spring. The mosquitos were HORENDOUS, and of course fishing dusk hatches are that much worse. Being a seasoned veteran of 6 or 8 years now, I thought nothing of smoking the cigar, wading through uncharted waters, and casting in the dark...She on the other hand had quite an adventure with that cigar. Lets just say She added one more reason to the list of why she should keep her wading belt tight! :
hairwing530 and siege like this.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always thought a pipe looked cool but by the time I hit college, everybody was using a bong.

Kidding aside, I do enjoy a good cuban cigar after a day on the water, too expensive to risk dropping in the water while fishing...

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

OK, I admit to both cigars and pipes...and I can even smoke in the house! For pipe tobacco I like the Champlain mixture from Pipeworks & Wilke Pipe Shop; blended tobaccos, custom, Briar pipes & estate pipes.
Nice online store run by a very knowledgeable woman; she mixes her own.
Gary
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I'm a pipe smoker. I have a nice little Stromboli pipe that fits in my vest and I carry a tin of University Flake. I also carry a flask of scotch. If I'm not catching anything I usually just sit on a rock in the river and have a smoke and a drink. I've got all day. SF
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i love me some wood tipped cigars. no bug will come close to that action

casey

ARFE
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

My fly shop in Ohio sells a blend that quickly became my favorite; and just about the only thing I ever smoke. Before "we" in OHIO embraced fascism, we were allowed to freely smoke in our own establishments if we so chose. The owner of the shop, Frank, had the entire shop saturated with the wonderful aroma of a blend that he calls "Royal Coachman". I don't know who mixes or distributes it, and I have never thought to ask; it just comes in a heavy duty zipper bag and it looks like some industrious person prepares this in the back room of their home. It has a poorly printed picture of a Royal Coachman Dry Fly on the homemade label. The best I've ever had. Honestly, I've only had half a dozen different blends because I just found this and stuck with it; and the pipe only gets fired up every so often so I don't go through too much.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i love me some wood tipped cigars. no bug will come close to that action

casey
No joke...I only smoke when I fish, and then I'll smoke anything all day long...pipes, cigars, cigarrettes; they all keep the bugs away.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

I am fortunate to work nearby this place L.J. Peretti Company Tobaconists & Cigar Merchants, but haven't been in quite a while. Walked over there yesterday, and picked up some of a custom blend of theirs. Will fire up tonight.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

My local Cigar shop also has a very sweet yet deep flavor home blend. They call it "the blend" that tastes AWESOME.

But with the price of tobacco and everything I to haven't been in there in a while. I think I'll have to swing in their this weekend.